Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:52 PM   #11
Administrator

It's a relatively common issue with some of the ultra zoom "all in one" type lenses. Here's one thread on the subject:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...al-length.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:09 PM   #12

Ok, I will look at this again, a report back!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:31 PM   #13
Administrator

More discussion (this time concerning a Tamron 28-300mm lens). ;-)

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...tml#post506869

I've seen that issue reported with the Tamron 28-200mm lenses before, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:33 PM   #14

I have an older copy of the Tamron 28-200mm, and can confirm this. I should also note that the focus changes if you zoom the lens in or out. This can be a real issue when doing close-ups.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:07 PM   #15

Interesting info

I find that odd how they can market it at a specific range when it isn't a true statement. (Like lying about the horsepower of a car) Regardless whether 150 or 200, I still love this lens and for 100 bucks it still blows me away with its quality. I've gotten crappy images with this and all my lenses but the Tamron 28-200 produces many keepers. I really wish they would label it as the proper mm because being new to telephoto photography, I am basing my knowledge on my experiences and now my judgment of 200mm is skewed.

Well, I just got my Sigma 70-300mm lens today and she is a beut. The few shots I snatched with it in my terribly lit house came out very sharp in the middle range. I have yet to view close ups of the long and short ends.

This definitely has more reach than my tammy<200.

The auto focus was remarkably fast for what I had imagined. I pounded so many mixed reviews of this before it arrived, I was expecting near garbage to arrive in a box.

The zoom is terribly slow as if it needs to be oiled down. I think its just cheap design; having the zoom move the entire front element to zoom instead of a faster moving mechanism.( you can tell i dont know proper terms or part names, sorry) Besides being stiff, it will also stick. It's manageable for the price I paid for it so just like the tamron, its already beyond my hopes in quality. It is brand new however unlike the tamron 28-200 so if this stiffness is a defect, I can return it.

Thanks again for all the info. I was going to just start up a front topic with the tammy lens but rather waste space and flood the boards, thought id just ask you guys while I had you.

Edit: Perhaps it is true 200mm if u focus to infinity. I will have to test it between the two at 200 to see.

Last edited by NMRecording; Apr 13, 2010 at 11:12 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:01 AM   #16

I also have a Sigma 70-300 and am generally pleased with it. Mine is a bit soft over the 200mm setting, and this is fairly common with this lens, at the telephoto setting. When used in the macro mode, it seems to work just fine.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:03 PM   #17

I took the 70-300 out today and got some amazing shots. Upon getting home I realized i had it on 1600 ISO the whole time on a bright sunny day. DOH ! I didn't think to check cuz they looked great in the viewfinder. I can probably salvage some of them.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:15 PM   #18

Been there, done that. Try taking pictures of white pelicans in bright sunlight at 1600 - it took me a while to figure out why my shutter speeds were so high. I was using the K10 at the time, I think, and the pictures were pretty sad.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
My 28-200 tammy isnt the best reach for birds and wild life but I am enjoying the lens.

How would a X2 TC affect IQ and AF speeds?
You should forget that. TC works ok for long prime lens of F2.8 or faster. Rarely do I find (none actually) any positive comments even for * zoom. 2X TC is definitely no no for any lens. IMO
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote