Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:26 AM   #1

Default Pentax M* 300mm f4

Question - in that I am not that up to date on the telephoto end of things. I came across a Pentax M* 300mm f4 that is part of a package deal. Very good condition. I like the rest of the package deal, but this is outside of my knowledge.....

What would be a reasonable offer?
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:40 PM   #2

Well, it's the first ever made "green star" lens, so there is a special collector's value to this lens. For usability it lacks the A-setting, so it will have to be used as any M or K lens, but it should be as good as the A* 300mm f4 Harriet has. And that is one goooood lens.
Seems to me like the prices for used Pentax lenses vary a lot from country to country (strangely, since ebay is worldwide), and from time to time. Without scientific research my feeling is that the prices have started climbing again after a period of recess. Myself I only buy if I find a bargain price, but then again I'm not in deep need of anything so I can be patient.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:48 PM   #3

Hi IO,

As Kjell stated, that's a very good lens. It's actually the same optics and build as the A*300/4, but without the auto exposure contacts. It was, indeed the first "star" lens, and was a distinct departure from the much larger and heavier "K" 300/4.

Pricing, IMO should be under @ $420 USD in EX condition, the more under, the better. Realize that I'm pretty cheap though, and market prices have probably gone up a bit from when I was in the market.

The lens is very sharp wide open, but suffers a bit compared to later AF models (F*,FA*, and DA*) because of lesser ability to control CA/PF in high contrast situations wide open, and because of its long minimum focusing distance (@ 13 ft compared to 6 ft for the F/FA* and 4 ft for the DA*). The CA/PF isn't horrible, it's just not as good as the AF lenses with their expensive ED glass. This, and the A*, of course, are the best mid fast MF 300mm lenses in the K mount (and one of the smallest, lightest pro-quality 300mms ever made).

"mole" also has an A* 300/4, and his looks like someone tried to clean the front element with a cinder block (Roy had a similarly damaged one), and both of them took some amazing shots with them stopped down some. It can also make an excellent AF 510mm/f6.7 with an F 1.7x Auto Focusing Adapter.

If you want a comparatively inexpensive premium quality 300 prime that's small enough to pack reasonably well, this or the A* are the ones to get.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:53 PM   #4

Hi Scott and Kjell,

I am much better at wide angle than telephoto.... I have no idea as to what I am going to do. Apparently the optics are mint, and its across the country.

Thanks!!!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:30 AM   #5

IO - my A* 300 cost about $150, but, as Scott says, the front element is badly scratched. Still takes great, sharp photos, as long as it is stopped down a little. It's been a fine birding lens and is quite portable, but does not focus close enough to be a good dragonfly/butterfly lens.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 4:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
IO - my A* 300 cost about $150, but, as Scott says, the front element is badly scratched. Still takes great, sharp photos, as long as it is stopped down a little. It's been a fine birding lens and is quite portable, but does not focus close enough to be a good dragonfly/butterfly lens.
post pic of it.
sounds like my old one..
i really miss it..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 7:05 AM   #7

Roy - It's one I bought from someone over at the Pentax Forums - might be your old one. Here's a thread where I posted my first pics with it, plus a shot of the lens itself:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ots-300-a.html
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 1:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
post pic of it.
sounds like my old one..
i really miss it..
Hi Roy,

I saw pics of both yours and mole's , and it's not the same one, though similarly damaged. IIRC, I compared them when I saw the one mole bought posted on the marketplace since I was surprised that two premium lenses like these would be damaged in such a similar way -- most lenses in this class are babied. I certainly don't need another 300, but I just can't resist taking a look when one becomes available. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 1:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Roy,

I -- most lenses in this class are babied.

Scott
thanks scott.
reporters are not nice with cams.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote