Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 1, 2010, 8:52 PM   #11

I'm planning on getting both the zoom and a prime, it's more a matter of which prime do I get. I'm not willing to compromise about the weather sealing so that means I will get the DA*16-50 to go along with the DA*50-135, DA*200 and DA*300. Most people would get that and be happy with it, but my past convinces me that I'll always want to supplement it with a prime around 30-35, which is the focal length I'm feeling a need for.

The question is which prime do I get - the legendary 31 for a small fortune? I know I'd love it but Scott brings up a good point - the 35 macro would do a better job for all those flower shots I take. I wouldn't use it for real macro stuff so I wouldn't do much comparison shots between it and the Viv (I want the stand-off distance you get with the telephoto for macro). The 31 seems to have slightly better bokeh and the comparison shots I've seen look like the 31 is also sharper at infinity. But the 35 is no slouch when it comes to bokeh and I take tons of flower pictures.

I think I'm attracted to the 31 not only because of the awesome pictures its capable of but also because of its reputation. The 35 also has a great reputation but it's not legendary (yet). I guess the one thing I'm a bit concerned about is if I get the 35 would I regret not holding out for the 31. I'm sure that if I were to buy the 31, I wouldn't regret it. But Scott has a point - the 35 would fit my needs and perhaps my desire to own a legendary lens would go on the back burner.

I obviously know what Les is going through, but the wide angle primes don't attract me. I'm perfectly happy with the 12-24, and if I want something faster, I also have the SMC 24 mm f2.8.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 9:31 PM   #12
Super Moderator

i would say hold out and save up for the 31. it is sharper already at 1.8 than the 35 at 2. the bokeh is better and the CA is alot less.

and you can afford to hold out and save for a little bit of time since you have the new zoom as well as your other lenses to hold you over, so its not like you don't have quality glass at the 30-35 range.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 12:42 AM   #13

I wish I could find the lenses I want for under the going rate, Kjell. And you are SO right - buying one * or Limited lens is a costly thing to do - not for the cost of that one lens, but because it never stops there.

I do know where there's a new 35 macro available locally, for less than the current rate for it. I'll probably get impatient and buy it as soon as I have the cash in hand (it's hard to keep it in hand, there's always something that needs fixing if it doesn't get spent right away).

I'm actually thinking about getting the prime first, if I can manage it. In spite of the last couple of mornings that we woke up to a dusting of snow, spring is about over and I won't have to worry about rain any more. It makes sense to get the unsealed lens now when I don't particularly need weather sealing, then buy the zoom in the fall or get it for Christmas, when I'd really want the protection. Just don't know if I'll be able to manage the expense of the 31 right now (either the zoom or the 35 macro would be possible, I think).

I did think about getting a 28 mm or the 43 Ltd, but figured that wouldn't cover the hole I have as well - 28 is a bit too close to 24 to make much difference and 43 is a bit too close to 50, which I have well covered by a number of lenses. So the 30-35 range would make more sense for me.

I'm hoping that getting these two lenses will be the end of my LBA/must have list, at least for a while. I'd have a good spread of primes, weather sealed zooms, and a couple of light-weight options. Enough lenses to share with my hubby if he wants to shoot too. Sure there's other lenses that I'd love to own, but I don't have a burning desire/feel a need for them.

A word of advice - if Pentax does another tour like they did with the K7, go and look at the new camera. Do NOT look at any of the Limited lenses they will have. Do NOT take a picture with your camera and a DA* lens. Or else go there with lots of extra cash coming in, so you can buy them all!
Old May 3, 2010, 3:09 AM   #14

If you are looking for advice to help restrain your LBA, you are in the wrong place!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 11:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
If you are looking for advice to help restrain your LBA, you are in the wrong place!

Agreed! I think the only cure is a point and shoot
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 10:46 PM   #16

Harriet get them all as you know you will. Just decide which one you will most likely use the most and if it seems to fill in your need nicely then the want for something else may go in a different direction.

At the very least you know what you want.

Someway, somehow there is a way to how we get those things it's a matter of which one to start with.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 10:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
Harriet get them all as you know you will.
Wait, that's what I don't want to hear. But you know, I was talking to my other half last night and that was his suggestion - just get both Limited lenses and the DA*16-50. Then I don't have to keep agonizing over which one to get. I'm beginning to think (since he wants an iPad) that I should get the 35 first - it's less expensive, which means he can get the iPad sooner and I won't feel so guilty about getting all 3 lenses.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:14 AM   #18

this made me laugh harriet.

Atleast you don;t have to do this to get three lenses(let alone one):

NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 3:46 PM   #19

My hubby is so sweet about the photo stuff. In fact, he often encourages me to get what I want - maybe a reflection that he knows if it hadn't been for him buying me a SLR camera when we were dating, I'd probably still own horses and they are a whole bunch more expensive. So he indulges me, probably enjoying the big grin on my face whenever I'm out with the camera or looking at a particularly nice picture I've taken.
Old May 5, 2010, 3:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Wait, that's what I don't want to hear. But you know, I was talking to my other half last night and that was his suggestion - just get both Limited lenses and the DA*16-50. Then I don't have to keep agonizing over which one to get. I'm beginning to think (since he wants an iPad) that I should get the 35 first - it's less expensive, which means he can get the iPad sooner and I won't feel so guilty about getting all 3 lenses.
You're a lucky lady having such an understanding partner.

I'm also very lucky, my wife is very understanding and generous in giving me the go ahead to buy more camera equipment...this past 12 months or so...one Pentax DSLR body (KM) and three Pentax lenses...make that four lenses.

Although, I wouldn't mind having a prime either...14mm, 15 mm or a 21, maybe a 31mm.

I hope she doesn't read this website.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote