Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 6, 2010, 1:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
, I'd probably still own horses and they are a whole bunch more expensive.
I have horses,....but I hope I don't 'get what you got'..its sounds like its incurable

these stilettos....seem a little tight...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 3:22 PM   #22

I only buy a couple of major things a year, and have no/few recurring costs. That's better than the every six weeks visits from the farrier, wormer, routine vet bills, unexpected vet bills because horses are disasters waiting to happen, show fees, tack replacements because things break, hay, grain, bedding, leather cleaner etc. A friend of mine always said that the way to earn a small fortune with horses was to start off with a large one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 1:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I was talking to my other half last night and that was his suggestion - just get both Limited lenses and the DA*16-50. Then I don't have to keep agonizing over which one to get. I'm beginning to think (since he wants an iPad) that I should get the 35 first - it's less expensive, which means he can get the iPad sooner and I won't feel so guilty about getting all 3 lenses.
Hi Harriet,

Sounds like a plan. . . Little does he know that the iPad (or one of the inevitable clones) will be the perfect electronic photo "portfolio" -- much better than a netbook since you would be able to easily rotate it to display portrait shots full screen, and the touch/gesture interface would be totally cool. I'm currently using an Acer Aspire One, but am waiting patiently to see what the iPad clones have to offer. I already have a friend that wants the netbook to use with her new business.

I agree that you should get the 35 first. See if it dulls the the desire for the 31, plan on getting the 16-50 towards the end of the summer or fall, and meanwhile keep an eye out for a special deal on the 31.

Remember to tell him that this was not my idea -- I don't have any of these lenses -- and totally support his getting the iPad. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 11:56 PM   #24

LOL! I've thought of the photo storage/viewing with the iPad. If I were planning a trip where I was going to fly anytime soon I'd sure want one. As it is, I have my laptop and that's working well (and I have CS4 on it, so I can do stuff to them while still on vacation). And yes, I definitely support his desire for the iPad - in the long run it would be cheaper than him buying all hardbacks. But that's a whole other topic.
Old May 8, 2010, 11:51 PM   #25

Hi, Harriet. I'm on board with the crew that's telling you to get them all. I say start with the DA 35 macro Limited... then let hubby buy the iPad. Then go with the either the 16-50 or 31 Limited. But get them all. It will be a liberating and fulfilling experience.

But here's what I predict: The 31 will either rapidly become your favorite lens or you'll end up selling it after a year because it's just too much work. It's a very fussy lens with a razor-thin DOF. It can produce some incredible results... but it can also be a royal PITA. It depends on you. But you might want to ask yourself... why is it that you don't use your manual-focus lenses that much anymore? Because you may find that, in order to get the absolute best results out of the 31, you'll be manually focusing often.

I'm not trying to trash the 31 Limited. It's a classic for a reason. But it's not for everyone. Frankly, the DA 35 Limited has quite a bit of magic dust in it as well... but auto-focus speeds are a bit slower because it's a macro lens. If that's not a problem for you, the 35 may be the keeper over the 31. Check out this link:

http://photo.net/columns/mjohnston/p...al-discussion/

The last paragraph sums up this lens... and it sounds like what you're looking for:

"Still, for what it is—a 50mm equivalent lens for APS-C with macro capability, that can readily be used as a general-purpose normal—the SMC Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited is a paragon. It really is just beautiful, and will gratify…no, it will spoil anyone who likes the very best optical quality and appreciates what truly outstanding lenses can do. It ranks right up there with the best lenses I’ve ever used in any format."

Last edited by Biro; May 9, 2010 at 12:26 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 1:21 AM   #26

A good article - I read it a couple of weeks ago.

I admit I've gotten lazy about AF since I have so many lovely AF lenses. That is, until the recent enthusiasm here for macro - that got me out with the Viv again. While I missed catching a quick moving lizard today (but I got one to pose for me later on), I quickly got back into the habit of seeing the focus and used it for quite a few of my shots while hiking today. And as far as razor-thin DOF - it won't be smaller than the 77 f1.8 at similar apertures, and I love that lens. But I can understand why it's a lot of work - the 77 can be, too. Or it can be a pure dream to shoot with. The big thing is to have a feel for when to use a small dof and when not to - I'm still learning that.