Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 4, 2010, 5:33 AM   #11

Thanks all for the humorous and the more serious replies

Like already mentioned.. I do not really know for sure if I truly need the extra 100mm. However in some cases when I'm shooting at the 200mm end, I just can not get close enough to the subject so the extra 300mm would be desired.. however maybe with a somewhat more budget 300 zoomlens, perhaps it would be a bit unsharp at the 300 end which causes me to like the sharpness of the shot @ 200 better anyway.

Yeah indeed the DA* primes seem to be fantastic.. but i'm afraid the pricetag also

To add another thing.. I can only buy a more expensive prime after the holidays (after August ) but I'm going to Boston next month and to Brasil in 3 months so I would love to have an addition to my gear... but as of now I can only afford a budget lens like the Tamron...
Ahhhhrgg... lensgreed is so frustrating
Old May 4, 2010, 9:00 AM   #12

As soon as you get a 300mm lens, you'll want something even longer and then something even longer than that. The quest for magnification never quite ends.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 10:34 AM   #13

I'm with Paul here..I have a very large selection of lens to choose from but right now(until I can get a DA 12-24) The Da 18-55 and the Sigma 50-500 are the ones getting the use on my K7. Later I plan on getting a DA 55-300 to accompany my 18-55 on walkabouts because it is so much lighter than the Sigma. If you can get a 300 prime as suggested you'll probably then need a 500 or 600mm for the extra length....happened to me! Now I long for a 300 f/2.8 and a 600mm f/4. It never ends my friend.

My wife asked me the same question about the number of lens I could use at one time on my K10D....I told her I could take up hunting, fishing, motorcycling and golf again.....She hushed up REAL quick.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:09 PM   #14

I can imagine that the hunt never stops...
To be honest I've already been checking at some 400 and even 500 mm lenses
Difficulty here is that I do not know what I like and would use the most. Since I do not own a longer focal length than 200 I wouldn't know whether I would use it a lot.
The same holds for macro.. I like macro shots.. but I would not know if I would really enjoy making macro's until I've tried it with a decent dedicated macro lens..
Hmm maybe I should pick up playing poker again and use my winnings for new lenses

One other thing.. if I do want to expand to 300mm what would be the pro's and cons of the da 55-300 vis a vis the tamron 70-300. I know from reviews the pentax lens is a bit sharper at the long end however it also costs twice as much.

Why am I always interested in the more expensive hobbies *sigh*
Old May 4, 2010, 8:07 PM   #15

While I do not own the pentax 55-300, from what I understand is that its pretty sharp at 300.

70-300 tamron is fairly sharp as well and offers the macro capabilities where as the pentax 55-300 does not. There are also two versions of the 55-300 as you might be aware. One has a plastic mount opposed to the metal one but the optics are the same. The cheaper version is in the same ballpark as the tamron.

I wouldnt be worried about the sharpness with the tamron as much as the CA. While you might notice the pentax 55-300 is sharper, you'll probably have to look closer than you think to notice any difference. Ive seen great pics taken with both lenses.

I will mention the purple fringing I notice with my tamron. Its probably one of the worst lenses I have with purple fringing but its nothing that renders this lens useless. Its quite easy to fix this in PP but can also be a hassle when you have to edit it out of a ton of shots.

Considering what you're saying, you might want to look for one of the cheapest 300mm lens you can find since you're not really sure if its your thing or not; something you can buy under budget and get a feel for the range. If its not something you like, you can resell it. If you like the lens but feel its somewhat limiting you with slow speeds/af speed/ etc. then you know what to look for in the next lens.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 9:43 PM   #16

If you are planning to keep the 200mm then the pentax 300mm is really doubling up the range. But if you are getting rid or the 200mm, I would go with the pentax lens to cover the gap between 55-70mm. It not a big gap, but sometimes it does pay a bit of a difference in framing. As I do not like to pp crop. so that would be a concern for me.

But the DA 55-300mm is a really nice and sharp lens. It is worth the extra money for me. As I now shoot airplanes in flight and my lens see's 300mm allot.

Here are some samples of the DAL 55-300 there are some shots at full zoom. The DA 55-300 is a nicer lens.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html

Last edited by shoturtle; May 4, 2010 at 11:13 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 7:14 AM   #17

Just to add my 2 cents to this discussion - I do not have the Pentax 55-300 (too expensive for my limited budget), but do have a (very old & beat up) A* 300 F4 that works great for bird photos. The minimum focus distance on the A*300 is much too long for butterflies, dragonflies & such. I also have a Pentax 135-600 that is excellent for birds, but again, cannot focus close enough for the smaller stuff.
So I recently purchased a (very used & very cheap) Sigma APO 70-300, and have found it quite sharp and bright, and very useful for the "little critters."
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 1:55 PM   #18

I wonder how you can ever make decisions on which lens to buy.. it would be so much easier if there was "one lens to rule them all"
Anyway... I'll just keep checking ebay and some Dutch auction sites regularly to see if there are bargains. For now, the only lens I could afford new would be the Tamron (it does come with 6 years warranty so it is quite tempting)

Take care!
Old May 5, 2010, 3:51 PM   #19

If that were the case, then there'd be no LBA and I'd have a lot more money in my pocket. But such things aren't meant to be - there's only "one lens to rule one subject/subject etc. at a price that will make you cringe."
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 3:29 PM   #20

I don't try to decide.... I just try to buy them all.....am I sick???