Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 24, 2010, 9:50 PM   #21

not bad at all, what other lenses did u get?
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 10:28 AM   #22

well i now have the basic 18-55mm that comes with the camera, a 24mm f2.8 tokina wideangle prime, a Tamron AF70-300mm F4-5.6DI LD, a SMC PENTAX-M 135MM 1:3.5 PRIME and a 70-210 Vivitar MC Macro Zoom f4.5/5.6. got all those lenses for about 110 i think. all perfect condition. althugh still waiting for 1 to arrive.
jasonholland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 4:25 PM   #23

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonholland89 View Post
well i now have the basic 18-55mm that comes with the camera, a 24mm f2.8 tokina wideangle prime, a Tamron AF70-300mm F4-5.6DI LD, a SMC PENTAX-M 135MM 1:3.5 PRIME and a 70-210 Vivitar MC Macro Zoom f4.5/5.6. got all those lenses for about 110 i think. all perfect condition. althugh still waiting for 1 to arrive.
Those should keep you busy for a few days. But pretty soon you'll be looking for a Nifty Fifty, and an ultrawide, and a short tele macro (that Viv zoom isn't really macro); and you'll start to wonder if Takumars and CZJ's and Russians are really better; and very soon now, you'll keep an eBay window constantly open, and your spare time (HA!) will be occupied with poring over lens reviews. Yes, you are doomed. Enjoy the ride!
Old May 25, 2010, 8:53 PM   #24

the vivitar 70-210 isnt really a macro???

Id disagree, out of my 5 macro lenses, 4 being prime, the vivitar is my goto lens. On the lowest setting it is great for product photogrraphy; able to get up close on something as small as a pack of cigarettes and on its largest magnification settings can get the hairs on the stem of a flower crisp and clear.

Heres a photo I took with the vivitar 70-210 macro. If this isnt a macro lens, I dunno what is. I love the IQ, the colors, the sharpness, and the bokeh.
If you need to get up close for microscopic insects, just throw a magnification filter on it and youll be able to focus on such things as small as a dime

im unhappy with the 80% quality i had to drop to after downsizing but it still proves its a nice macro.

i think u did well

Last edited by NMRecording; May 25, 2010 at 9:14 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:57 PM   #25

ive been getting into the carl zeiss lenses lately and theyre replacing a lot of my goto lenses.

I still think the pentax primes that can be had on ebay are a toss up with CJZ because of the sharpness. I like the bokeh of the CZ lenses more and the color renditions but the softness of the older pentax primes still retain a character you cant capture with any other lens. this is why i trade between using my pentax 50 and my carl zeiss 50 almost regularly

edit: when i mean softness, dont associate this lens with not being sharp. Its hard to explain the quality as my pentax 50mm 2.8 and 55mm 1.8 are very sharp lenses but seem to also contain a softer, less contrasty shot than the carl zeiss, which can be an excellent lens for a shot of a foggy forrest, b&w, etc. I cant really explain it, just wanted to emphasize that my mention of its softness in comparison to the zeiss, is not necessarily a bad thing.

next time you goto buy, check one out. You can get them just as cheap as the pentax lenses if you look around and have a different character to them. cant wait for u to post up some pics with your new gear

Last edited by NMRecording; May 25, 2010 at 9:18 PM.
Old May 26, 2010, 1:05 PM   #26

lol well i have my watching window open all the time. im currently watching 64 things on ebay haha. although alot of those have ended. got some crappy news today tho. the 135 prime is no longer available, so had a refund of 40 quid. so i dunno now. i reckon ive got about 70 to spend on a couple of lenses. just not sure what on. i was going to use the 135 reversed for a higher magnification macro but at a further distance away. what ya reckon?

cheers for the pics from the 70-210, look forward to using that now

oh and i will post pics of everything soon. going away to a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere soon so will hopefully get pics then.
Old May 26, 2010, 8:21 PM   #27

keep in mind that 135mm lens is mostl likely a 200mm on a cropped sensor DSLR. Im not sure which camera you have but thought id mention that a 90mm lens is actually going to give u a true 135mm on cropped sensor.

For the money you're mentioned. I'd personally pick up a pentacon, or a jena sonnor. The 29mm, 50mm, and 200mm I have are all exceptional lenses. I got the 29mm for 30 dollars, the 50 for 50, and 200mm was considered free in this lens package I doubled my money off of that included it. The Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 55mm would be a pretty nice portrait lens from what Ive seen. You'd have almost 83mm on a cropped sensor, which I find is good focal length as I use my Pentax 55mm 1.8 frequently for portraits. You could also pick up the ashai pentax takamur 55mm 1.8 with that in mind for portrait shots. It is one of my goto portrait lenses.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:51 PM   #28

ok then, some pics from my farm trip, and a couple from home.

got some macro ones on the macro 1:1 topic i made in here as well. i wont double post them.

Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:30 PM   #29

very cool, what lens was this using? Love the colors on that last one. Great sky
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:06 PM   #30

all the of them bar the last one is my tamron 70 - 300. the last one is with my current fav lense, simply because its great reversed, and good for wide angles. thats my tokina 24mm f2 lens