Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 31, 2010, 12:31 AM   #11

I wouldn't worry about the ISO until you get above 400 or 800 - I don't see much difference between 100 and 200. I'd definitely give it a try, most people say the kit lens is pretty soft until f8 or so and won't use it with any bigger aperture settings. Also, I'd still like to see full sized file of your lens - the couple of pictures you've posted look a bit suspicious on the right side, but it's hard to tell with resized pictures, especially with your subject (which I love, by the way). My kit lens is just way too soft for my taste by the way. It works OK on the K100, but not with the 14 mp sensor. Now that I have it back, perhaps I'll take the opportunity to do some comparison shots.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 11:29 AM   #12

First, many kind thanks for ALL your advice and suggestions! It is appreciated.

I went out, after the rain stopped, and took a photo of another boat... (little variety). First, here is the basic photo with no other PP work except resizing... The second is with my post-processing to add sharpness, light to shaddows, etc.

Thanks

Ned
Attached Images

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 2:58 PM   #13

Tricky situation of lights and darks you chosed!
#2 shows much detail in the darks. Sharpness improved a lot.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 3:13 PM   #14

Thanks a mil, Ordo! I thought chosing a subject with sunlight and shadows would be an interesting challenge.
Old May 31, 2010, 8:33 PM   #15

Your post processing job is quite nice - definitely sharper, but not over-sharp. You've done a nice job of bringing out detail in the shadows. I probably would have also shot a bracketed series of this scene to see what I could do with HDR software. And since you have the K7, if it wasn't breezy and you had a way to stabilizing the camera (i.e., table, tripod etc.) I probably would have also experimented with the in-camera HDR feature - this scene might do very well as an HDR. But only if it's not breezy and only if you can stabilize the camera (in-camera HDR will show ghosting if your subject or camera is moving).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:19 AM   #16

Many, many thanks... I really need to get a tripod and prime lens. Thanks for all your words and advice.