Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:27 AM   #1

Default Which 1.4x or 1.5x TC?

I shoot digitally with an Oly but my film stuff is all PK so I tend to use a lot of old PK glass with it. I've got a 2x Tokina 7 element TC that I really like but there are times I'd prefer a 1.4 or 1.5x since it'd get me 600mm out of my 400mm and only one stop lost. Any recommendations? New ones are all for AF which i don;t need but considering the cost of the old Penatx 1.4 MF TC I'm leaning towards a new one anyway. I know Tamron and Tokina both made MF 1.4x for PK but I have never seen one for sale. Thanks for any and all help.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:57 PM   #2

You are more likely to see the Kenko 1.4 for sale, they seem to be well liked. At least one version was supposed to have been made by Tamron, at least that's what was commonly reported.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
You are more likely to see the Kenko 1.4 for sale, they seem to be well liked. At least one version was supposed to have been made by Tamron, at least that's what was commonly reported.
I don;t think I've ever seen any used 1.4 that wasn't a Pentax brand. Not that I have looked all that hard, just on Ebay and KEH etc....

What about the new kenkos? I know they make a 1.5x.

John
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:07 PM   #4

Hi jelow.

Pentax made two MF 1.4x TCs, the Rear Converter A 1.4X- S and the Rear Converter A 1.4X-L. The "S" model, IIRC can be used with any lens while the "L" is only usable with only certain lenses over 300mm because of the large protruding front element. The "L" is sometimes said to work with lenses over 300mm, but that is not always true -- IIRC, the M 400/5.6 is a notable example of a long Pentax tele that's not compatible.

My understanding is that the "RC 1.4X-L" is the very best K mount TC from an optical standpoint, followed by the "S", then the Tamron/Kenko 1.4x/1.5x AF TCs, and then by a hair, the Sigma EX 1.4x AF APO and APO DG. The Sigmas also may have compatibility problems with some lenses because of a protruding front element, but it doesn't protrude nearly as much as the "L". Though the Sigma may come out at the bottom of this list, it's still a very good TC. I have both a Tamron and a Sigma (pre DG), and I use the Sigma more with my big lenses because I have more faith in the build quality. Optically, I call them almost too close to call, but I'd give a very slight edge to the Tamron.

There might be some M42 screw mount TCs that have merit, but I've never used one so can't say. There might be some secondary brands that work okay, but I've not heard of any, so I wouldn't even try one.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi jelow.

Pentax made two MF 1.4x TCs, the Rear Converter A 1.4X- S and the Rear Converter A 1.4X-L. The "S" model, IIRC can be used with any lens while the "L" is only usable with only certain lenses over 300mm because of the large protruding front element. The "L" is sometimes said to work with lenses over 300mm, but that is not always true -- IIRC, the M 400/5.6 is a notable example of a long Pentax tele that's not compatible.

My understanding is that the "RC 1.4X-L" is the very best K mount TC from an optical standpoint, followed by the "S", then the Tamron/Kenko 1.4x/1.5x AF TCs, and then by a hair, the Sigma EX 1.4x AF APO and APO DG. The Sigmas also may have compatibility problems with some lenses because of a protruding front element, but it doesn't protrude nearly as much as the "L". Though the Sigma may come out at the bottom of this list, it's still a very good TC. I have both a Tamron and a Sigma (pre DG), and I use the Sigma more with my big lenses because I have more faith in the build quality. Optically, I call them almost too close to call, but I'd give a very slight edge to the Tamron.

There might be some M42 screw mount TCs that have merit, but I've never used one so can't say. There might be some secondary brands that work okay, but I've not heard of any, so I wouldn't even try one.

Scott
Many thanks for all the info! KEH has a RC 1.4X-s for sale but at $180 I'm not sure the quality would be that much better than the Kenko which I can grab for under $100. Of course, unless the weather improves around here it's a moot point, can't use any TC when it won't stop raining!

John
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:07 PM   #6

I've used this one somewhat infrequently with Tamron AD2 200/3.5 and a 300/5.6, and have never been disappointed with results. I've also tried it behind the Tamron 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 Di LD ... works fine with that, only reservation is that AF can be a bit iffy at the long end if you don't have good light. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:32 PM   #7

I found a used Tamron at KEH on friday but the bloody site was working so badly i wasn't able to order it. By Sat it was gone. Obviously I'm not the only one who thought it was a good deal

John
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:56 PM   #8

BTW if you somehow have got a different TC bearing very similar name and similar result , you may accidentally stumble something 3 times as expensive. I did that 4 years ago and bought mine from KEH.
There are different versions of the 1.4 & 1.5 TC basically of the same optical performance. But 2 rare and discontinued versions of them have actually a power contacts for the SDM motors.
The SDM (with power contacts) compatible one are expensive mainly because no one - that is not a misprint- is making that at all. They are as rare as hen's teeth and can only be available in used market

Here is my compilation of them:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 AF works. SDM no re Brad (photo.net)

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM & AF works for DA*300mm re Dave (photo.net)

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM 7 AF works for DA*60-250mm as per dick eduard of dpreview

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x *I had with the lens is its compatibility with the Tamron SP 1.4x TC Sigma* 70-200mmHSM F2.8

HSM works fine at 70mm, but absolutely will not lock focus at or anywhere around 200mm, and I tested it in*full sun*- very high contrast conditions. Hunts back and forth,****
Ash of Pentaxforums said 090904

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM & AF works for DA*300mm as per Toshi, moderator of Pentaxforums.com.

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM & AF works only 10% of the time for DA* 50-135mm but hunts a lot re Miserere

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x with the Sigma 70-200mm -new with HSM . The HSM AF works. It really didn't work all that well indoors at night according to Dave Hollander of Photo.net

Kenko DG Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS MC no AF no SDM on DA*300mm re Dave (photo.net)

Kenko DG Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS MC AF works on older AF lens re Dave (photo.net)

Kenko Pz-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS MC only AF works; SDM no as per jgredline of Pentaxforums.com

Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ both AF & SDM works for DA*200mm and all older AF lens re Daniel

Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ both AF & SDM works for DA*300mm re Borno (Tom) of Pentaxforums.com .SDM hunts a bit with DA*300mm

Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ both AF & SDM works for DA*50-135mm but it does hunt quite a bit and often fails to lock focus according to heliphoto of Pentaxforums ; Buddha Jones of Pentaxforums not happy with its result ;
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:57 PM   #9

Jack's version of 1.4 TC is not an SDM one (pict above). Well his lens does not need it though

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:05 AM   #10

i use the tamron 2x A model. i'm pleased with it as i don't like a 2x from practically any 2x. cost $10 and i was going to turn it into a TC by taking the glass out. i also have the smc A1.41.4x-s that i'm very happy with. the best 2x and 1.4 x are both the tamron 1.4x and the 200f 2x.. they both only work on tamron ad2 lenes.. it a shame because the 200f is the best 2x i've ever used..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote