Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:59 AM   #1

Default Sigma 85mm F1.4 $899 HSM EX for pre-order

This is for all those who have extra cash and sick of waiting for FA*85mm to come down in price.

Amazon is taking pre order at US$899. Now

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-85mm-1-4...5638285&sr=8-1

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:02 AM   #2

Personally I would rather have a Sigma 400mm F/4 though.
Sigma and Tamron should take heed of the situation when a FA*85mm is at least $2,000 in used market. So marketing a comparable at $899 is a no brainer

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:59 PM   #3

It's a lovely sounding lens, and a good price. I'm not interested as I have the 77 limited and it's all I need. And I would agree with you - I'd rather have the Sigma 400mm lens. Now if I didn't have the 77, I'd probably be real interested in a 85mm f1.4...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:24 PM   #4

Hi Daniel,

I'm another that has no need for this lens, so it's nice, but not on my list. If I wanted a short fast portrait tele, I'd go go with Harriet's choice, the 77 Ltd. As an EX series lens, I'm sure it's nicely built, but the Ltds are built nicer, IMO, and it's hard to argue with the "pixey dust" quality of the 77's optics.

As for the vaporware 400/4 that it seems a lot of people are predicting as the "ultra tele lens" that showed up in the last Pentax Lens Roadmap, I think a lens of this spec is unlikely. The diameter of the front element is dictated by physics, unless they use a trick aspherical front element FL/aperture = front pupil diameter, or 400/4= 100mm front element diameter, or 7mm less than a 300/2.8 -- and it has to be 100mm longer, so this lens would be bigger and probably heavier than a 300/2.8. The FA*300/2.8 weighs an actual 6lbs, 10 oz with the hood and protective front filter, so I'd say that a Pentax 400/4 would go over 7 lbs. The last street price for the FA* 300/2.8 was, IIRC $4200 USD -- before the recent big price increase. I'd make a wild guess, and say $5200 for a DA* 400/4, and probably more considering that it would pretty much have to be an SDM/screw drive dual AF compatible lens.

Really -- how many people are going to buy this lens? I wouldn't -- I get 420mm f4 by adding a good 1.4x TC to my FA* 300/2.8. Even if the IQ is better with the lens compared to the 300+TC, is there any real possibility that any improvement is going to be worth another $5K? -- and the target market would be the same guys that already own a 300/2.8. . .

It's been argued that an APS-C version would be smaller -- not been true so far -- look at the DA* 200 and 300. . . and surely the Oly 300/2.8 for 4/3 bodies would be a lot smaller -- It's actually heavier than any of the other OEM lenses of the same spec.

I could (and have on other fora when this has been brought up) go on and on. . .

Looking at it realistically (IMO), a killer sharp DA* 400/5.0 ED (IF) WR at @ $1500 would be the most practical long lens they could make (only needs an 80mm front element, and probably 2.5-3 lbs -- or lighter than most 70-200/2.8s), with a compact WR 135-400/4-5.6 at @ 1000 that's optimized for IQ at the long end possibly even better.

I'll get off the soap box now. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:40 PM   #5

I'd buy either of your suggestions, Scott. I do sometimes wish I had something longer than 300 mm but just don't know if it would be practical for me. I sometimes struggle when hand-holding the DA*300 and have trouble imagining using something even longer and possibly heavier.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote