Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:03 PM   #1

Default DA200mm as portrait lens

All were done wide open at F2.8

I think the last 2 were posted earlier in th SLR section

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:13 PM   #2

pretty sharp for being wide open at 2.8, how far where you to your subject with the 200mm for the shots?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:29 PM   #3

In the hands of someone who knows what he is doing, any length lens can be a portrait lens. These are, as I would expect, consistently good. I like the lighting best in #2. I tried using my 70-200mm f/2.8 for portraits Sunday and the result was not pretty, because of the photographer and an unfortunate accident involving a fallen tree trunk and one of the models with her aunt.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
In the hands of someone who knows what he is doing, any length lens can be a portrait lens. These are, as I would expect, consistently good. I like the lighting best in #2. I tried using my 70-200mm f/2.8 for portraits Sunday and the result was not pretty, because of the photographer and an unfortunate accident involving a fallen tree trunk and one of the models with her aunt.

Paul
Thanks. Paul. Actually I had another shootout May 30. As I shoot only in public venue and with erratic lighting, none came out good enough. Shooting girls yields barely one or two more keepers than shooting flying birds. That bad. At least, people would say flying bird is difficult to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
pretty sharp for being wide open at 2.8, how far where you to your subject with the 200mm for the shots?
Thanks . I was around 10-15 ft away shooting with one direct flash

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; Jun 10, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:36 PM   #5

thats she is a stunning subject, you capture the eyes beautifully
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
thats she is a stunning subject, you capture the eyes beautifully
Eyes are 9 points of portrait. The lens allows in-your-face-close-up which would have been difficult.

Done at F4 with 50% cropping

It may not be long enough for full blown wildlife shots. But if you can get close that may be ok portrait

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; Jun 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:08 PM   #7

Love the pictures of the egret, but the eyes have it - a wonderful shot. This lens is one of my favorite lenses - there's just something about some of the pictures it'll give you that are magical.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:37 PM   #8

I am confused by the very different skin tones in the first images, to be honest - I thought your setting was the same through the whole series?

Especially the egret shots show, that the lens can give you some good amount of detail - and that's what count for me personally when you shoot wide open. As long as the focus is good and the detail ok - you are fine. Postprocessing can overcome that "soft" feeling if needed - e.g. if you really wanted those eyes of your model to be pin-sharp/focussed... there is no or really very little magic needed

I am used to shoot wide open as I am not good when it comes to flash - so based on my experience I'd say you get a good lens here and I am with shoturtle regarding "sharpness".
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Love the pictures of the egret, but the eyes have it - a wonderful shot. This lens is one of my favorite lenses - there's just something about some of the pictures it'll give you that are magical.
Thanks. Once the eyes are in focus the rest is straightforward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkn777 View Post
I am used to shoot wide open as I am not good when it comes to flash - so based on my experience I'd say you get a good lens here and I am with shoturtle regarding "sharpness".

Shooting wide open has one disadvantage in that at longer focal length the DoF is very little to work with. Flash does also bring out a lot of details of images that would otherwise be absent.

I deliberately took image of different aperture for testing both K20 & the lens

At F2.8

F3.2

F4.5

You can see easily the gradual sharpening in stepping down

Daniel, Toronto
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:55 AM   #10

The 2.8 was the better stop for shooting people so close. The 3.2 and 4.5 was to sharp for my taste