Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1

Default Dropped Pentax 10-17mm

I was wondering if anyone that has a Pentax 10-17mm lens could check something for me.

I was a little bit careless today when switching lenses, and I dropped my 10-17mm when I pulled it from the case. Luckily I was kneeling at the time, but it fell about 8 inches onto a wooden floor landing on the lens cover. It seems to focus and zoom just fine, and I am going to do some resolution checks tomorrow, but the one thing that I do notice now is that if I shake the lens (not something I normally do) I can hear a dull rattle up near the front of the lens like something is a little loose inside. It may have always done that before and I may be hearing it now because I am looking for something, I don't know. Unfortunately there are no dealers around me that carry Pentax so that I could compare their lens to mine, so I was hoping that someone here might be able to check theirs for me.

If yours does rattle I apologize in advance for bringing it to your attention.

Thanks,
Steve
Odinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:14 AM   #2

Hi Steve,

Mine rattles -- sort of sounds like shaking a box with another box inside it that doesn't fit quite precisely. If it shoots okay, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. . . or we both do. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:40 AM   #3

Thanks Scott, that was a perfect description of the sound I'm hearing, just like a box inside of a box that doesn't quite fit tightly. Never noticed it before and of course I was thinking the worst.....thanks again.
Odinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:48 PM   #4

I just took my Pentax 10-17 mm Fisheye out of it's case and gave it a bit of a shake. Yes, there's a dull rattle I can hear.

It's never been dropped.

I never realized that sound was there.

Just to confirm...that's three Pentax 10-17 Fisheye's that have a dull rattle. Must be normal.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:30 PM   #5

Default Add one more

I also have a dull rattle. I took the front and rear caps off, then slightly shook. I noticed a dull rattle. I held the lens on the rubber zoom area still had a dull rattle. I then place one finger on the focus ring while slightly shaking no rattle. Mine has ever so slight front to back movement in the focus ring. Hope this helps.

Stevie
StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote