Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:11 PM   #1

Default SDM lenses on k-x , compatible ???

Will the SDM AF lenses be compatible with my K-x ?
I hope that i don"t have to rely on the internal AF drive system of my k-x for all lenses , SDM included ?
If SDM lenses do work , would such a lens be as effective on my k-x then on a k7 ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:19 PM   #2

Hi GV,

AFAIK, all the K-series bodies with the possible exception of the K110 are SDM compatible.

From what I've heard, the Kx AF is very close to the K-7 as far as speed and low light sensitivity, but the AA batteries put out a bit less voltage than the proprietary battery in the K-7, so that might be a slight differentiating factor. Also, the K-7 has SAFOX VIII + which adds a color temp sensor which effects focus accuracy with different light sources which could theoretically increase AF processing time, so that might be something of an equalizer. In any case, we're probably talking milliseconds here. . .

My guess is that they're close enough that this shouldn't be much of an issue.

My personal preference is for screw drive AF lenses, and I only have one SDM lens, the DA* 50-135, which I bought for the FL range, wide aperture, and WR, not SDM, as silent AF doesn't matter much to me. Strangely, I do really appreciate the very quiet shutter of the K-7. . . Probably if I used SDM lenses more frequently, I'd value the quietness more. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:50 PM   #3

You shouldn't have compatibility problems, the SDM will work. I have 3 SDM lenses (DA*50-135, DA*200 and DA*300) and don't regret buying any of them. The non-super K100 and earlier cameras don't support SDM, but anything after the K10 and K100 Super do.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
You shouldn't have compatibility problems, the SDM will work. I have 3 SDM lenses (DA*50-135, DA*200 and DA*300) and don't regret buying any of them. The non-super K100 and earlier cameras don't support SDM, but anything after the K10 and K100 Super do.
Hey , i'm closing on a deal for a 50-135mm f/2.8 at a very interesting price ( less then half the price buying new ) .
The guy says its like new and can be tested , so i'm going for it , i think in the long run i'll end up with the same lenses as you , looks like a perfect combination.

I did first hesitate with buying the 60-250mm f/4 but the size and the fact that there are almost none around doens't convince me.
Then i thought of the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 , still pretty big and a lot of posts talking about the risk of getting one with 'the sticking aperture' problem ,don't know what they really mean but why take the risk

Later for my sport shots , i'll see what is best , 200mm or 300mm
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote