Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1

Default Pentax 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR

Since I got a Pentax camera, I've been jealous of those with true 1:1 macro lenses, but I've never felt like my uses would justify getting one. A couple of weeks ago, I saw on Adorama a special that gave you more than $200 off the $ 850 price tag on this lens if you bought it with one of their little filter, cleaning kit, and lens cap combos. Serious LBA took over and I used the savings to justify moving now.

UPS didn't get here tonight till 8:20 pm, so I haven't had a chance to take it outside, and even when I do, I don't know there will be anything to shoot besides burned grass....but I was GOING to play with it some tonight. First off, a nickel

No editing done, other than to crop to 10 x 8 ratio and resize for forum. I had to lighten the closeup of one of my cats in Lightroom.

My first impressions of this lens? Very sturdy, fast focusing when using it on AF. Easy to dial it in on MF.

I can't wait to play with it out of doors, lol.

Paul

Last edited by Trojansoc; Aug 10, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:21 PM   #2

AHHH! Let the fun begin. Looks like a very good one Paul.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:40 PM   #3

That's a lens I'd really like, even though I already have 2 macro lenses that do 1:1, one with the same focal length. Between the weather sealing and the round aperture blades, I can imagine how beautiful the bokeh will be - better than with either of my macros. And yours sure looks sharp! Please post lots of pictures with it and make me very jealous.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
That's a lens I'd really like, even though I already have 2 macro lenses that do 1:1, one with the same focal length. Between the weather sealing and the round aperture blades, I can imagine how beautiful the bokeh will be - better than with either of my macros. And yours sure looks sharp! Please post lots of pictures with it and make me very jealous.

Harriet, I would never want to make you jealous........ but I gotta admit I'm having fun with this lens. The only limitations have seen thus far are those imposed on the lens by a shooter who's just learning the capabilites of the lens.

I haven't really tested the lens as a portrait glass, but I'm going on a faculty "retreat" tomorrow that involves a lake cruise. If I can get any of our teachers to cooperate, I'll try to get some good f/2.8 bokeh.

I'm going to post a series that might give you an idea of the bokeh in another thread in this forum

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote