Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:02 AM   #11

Hi,
One of the cheapest macro lenses you'll find is the Cosina 90mm f3.5, which basically gives 1:2 macros, but has a companion matched lens that mounts on the filter thread ... the combination givng 1:1, and excellent results. There's a good review in the link below. BTW there are also several rebadged versions ... Vivitar, Phoenix and others I don't recall, but all are made by Cosina.
Hope this helps ... Jack.

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/...asp?IDLens=236

They're readily found on Ebay a reasonable prices.

Last edited by jachol; Aug 19, 2010 at 4:06 AM.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:35 AM   #12

The Vivitar 105mm f/2.5 1:1 macro is the one I use but the lester Dine 105 2.8 is a good one too. The Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 Tokina made or the 90mm f/2.8 Kiron made are two more very good ones. Look them up on Google. You'll see the praise for these lens.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:40 AM   #13

Default Macro for K-x Responses

Thank you all for your responses. I can see I need to do some research and your responses will certainly get me started. Thanks again
Dan Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:01 AM   #14

Use a reversing ring on a wide angle prime.......you wont be disappointed. Then If you are in love with macro then buy the pricey macro lens. If there were a way to impericaly determine the "Bang for the buck" quality of things my bet would be on the reversed prime.
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bock1965 View Post
Use a reversing ring on a wide angle prime.......you wont be disappointed. Then If you are in love with macro then buy the pricey macro lens. If there were a way to impericaly determine the "Bang for the buck" quality of things my bet would be on the reversed prime.
Great advice, it's how I got started.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:29 PM   #16

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bock1965 View Post
Use a reversing ring on a wide angle prime...
It depends on the lens. Without using supplementals (+diopters, stacking, Raynox, etc), magnification depends on extension. If I put any of my 24's or 28's on a mount-reversal ring, I wouldn't get much magnification because the objective isn't inset very far -- ie, little extension. Most of my 35's are the same way, but one, a "pixie-dusted" Isco 35/2.8, *is* inset and so *does* gain some magnification.

Laws of optics are immutable. Reversal alone doesn't magnify. Put a reversed prime (an older manual prime with an aperture ring) on extension (tubes, bellows), and then you'll get some magnification.

You also get a working distance of ~45mm / <2" with most lenses you'll encounter. Think about it: a lens is designed to gather an image from somewhere between the focal length and infinity, and project it sharply onto a frame (film/sensor) that's ~45mm away. Reverse the lens, and a subject that's ~45mm away is projected onto the frame at some extension beyond the focal length. Reversal means working close. The way around that is to reverse a medium- or large-format lens that's designed for a working distance of 100-300mm.

I mentioned using an older manual prime with an aperture ring. Reversed, all automation goes away. Many new AF lenses lack aperture rings. Reversed, they're stuck wide-open or stopped-down totally, neither of which is good for sharpness.

Don't get me wrong. I ain't knocking reversal. I do it all the time. But reversal needs extension to be useful. I keep mount-reversal rings in 49mm, 52mm, 55mm and 58mm for my Pentax bellows and tubes. I reverse Leica, Canon, Konica, Minolta, other lenses that I can't otherwise use on my K20D. Recycling my buying mistakes, eh? Anyway, for a cheap taste of macro, a mount-reversal ring plus macro tubes or bellows are the ticket.