Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:02 PM   #11

just wanted to add, yes there is a carl zeiss 28 mm 2.8, the distagon is extremely sought after but incredible pricey.

I have a zeiss Jena 28mm 2.8 and its a remarkable lens. one of my favorites actually

Last edited by NMRecording; Sep 10, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
camera on bike on a sporting side. Point and Shoots. Something along the olympus tough, sony tx5 and panasonic tz2. On the higher image quality side, something like the lx3 or lx5 or s90 or s95. Really rugged cameras are a good idea, dslr and all the bouncing would not be good for the mirror box.
I think you are right.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
just wanted to add, yes there is a carl zeiss 28 mm 2.8, the distagon is extremely sought after but incredible pricey.

I have a zeiss Jena 28mm 2.8 and its a remarkable lens. one of my favorites actually
Sigma also makes a 28mm f/1.8 prime in a Pentax mount. It's not the lightest, most compact prime around but it works well and costs $349:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._f_1_8_EX.html
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:05 PM   #14

Hi no_nonsense4857

A 28mm equivalent on a Pentax body is 18mm (28mm/1.5 = 18.6mm). The crop factor is 1.5 due to the smaller sized APS-C sensor Pentax uses. So you could start out with a kit lens (18-55) and go from there. For wider, use the kit lens and stitch multiple frames together for landscape panoramas.

For a wider prime, then there is the 14mm, 15mm (in a variety of ages K, M, A, FA and DA lens - going back 35 years that are available). The DA* 15 is very small, while the DA 14 is fairly large but is a much faster lens (f2.8 for low light levels). On the zoom side, the 12-24 has been compared to a set of prime lenses - its very good.

Ruggedness - the Kx and new Kr are entry level cameras. With the pending announcement of the K5, I would think that the K7's price will soften to under $800 and below. The k7 is much more rugged and sealed (the 18-55 kit lens that comes with it is sealed also).

Pentax as a landscape camera is just as good as anyone else - and I think better with the lenses and the way colors are handled. Their optics is just as on par if not slightly better than the rest. Primes are much better. Colors render very well, and Pentax maintains the details within the RAW images better than others. Physical size wise, they are small in comparison.

A small travel tripod/ballhead, and external shutter release and you are all set.

hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote