Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:35 AM   #1

Default New (/inexpensive) - Pentax DA 35mm f2.4

I am on the lookout for answers with regards to Pentax lenses and this caught my eye.

Since nobody has still talked about it here, thought of posting and at the same time asking for the valuable comments.

Below is the link to the press release.
http://dpreview.com/news/1009/100909...35mm.asp#press
no_nonsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:39 AM   #2

Well, it has just been announced today, up to now it's been rumors.

It will be interesting to see how this one sells. It's advantages are price (I'm sure it will sell for less than the listed price very quickly) and it's light-weight. And I find that 35mm is perfect as a "normal" lens for me.

Disadvantage is that there's not enough to seperate it from the DA 35 macro limited. It's not much faster (f2.4 vs. f2.8), the macro is hardly a heavy-weight huge lens. I know that for years Pentax had both a 50mm f1.7 and the 50mm f2.8 macro and both sold well. I think if the new 35mm lens were f1.7 or f2 there would be more to differentiate it from the macro. As it is, I would always opt for the macro limited.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:08 PM   #3

I read the info that has come out on this new lens. I have to agree with Mtngal's assessment.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:50 PM   #4

Im appalled at the price, the other pentax lenses are so expensive it seems, I cant see why this one is so cheap? While I already have several lenses that are high quality in this range, the price definitely is sweet, Retailing for pretty much cost of a kit lens? I still cant believe what theyre thinking. I hope pentax is releasing more affordable AF lenses upcomming.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:29 PM   #5

It's cheap because it's got a plastic mount and it looks like it is made out of a lighter weight plastic than their more expensive lenses. It's much like the DA-L lenses, I think. I've only seen pictures of it so I'm guessing about the lighter weight materials. The plastic mounts of the DA-L lenses seem to be holding up well, that's not something that would stop me from buying a lens as long as the optics are good.

Some other things that it's missing which would cut down on the cost of making the lens - there's no distance indicator. No clutch for manually focusing when the camera is set to AF, and (like all DA lenses) no aperture ring. While the aperture ring isn't a big deal with today's digital cameras, the lack of the distance indicator will bother some (me, for instance). While I don't often adjust the focus of my AF lenses (and I have several without the clutch), it IS nice to have it.

Assuming that the optics are good, this could make a good choice for someone on a tight budget. If it turns out to have a exceptional, creamy bokeh (which I would not expect from a budget lens) it would appeal to a larger group. Otherwise, I think most people would opt for the macro limited, currently selling for $539 at B&H, granted it's twice the cost of the new lens but not that high when compared to the other Limited and * lenses.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:45 AM   #6

Hi Harriet,

After this news, i was reminded about your thread "in my shoes". Well i must say you are an extremely lucky person owning the good and the best lenses.

I am a biker who loves to shoot landscapes. I just want a good lens which is atleast 28mm equivalent (better if its still wider). I am looking for a prime cos i want the lens to be compact and fast too. For perspective, i right now own a Nikon D40 with the kit lens. But ever since i've discovered steves, i've only participated in the pentax forums and still not able to figure out why this attraction?!

Since i would be buying a body and a lens, i presume i'll be "locked" to the brand once i make the purchase.

To the untrained eye, Pentax seems like a costly affair when it comes to lens choice comparing the Nikons and the Canons. They have the modern (for the Digital SLR) fast primes at a much more competitive prices where as i would have to go searching in the flea market hoping to get my hands on the much adored "old" pentax lenses when i have a budget limitation.

I'm asking this as a wanna be pentaxian so PLEASE - would the real pentaxians please stand up...

Why would a person (who owns NO lenses to start with) - about to make a serious SLR choice - settle for Pentax??

I look forward to starting off with the super K7 with the WR kit lens. But what next...??

Theres already some pentax bashing going on elsewhere....
Quote:
This is madness.
f/2.4 normal prime? I thought one of the main reasons we bought primes is because they are a lot faster (larger aperture) than zoom lenses, like f/1.8 and f/1.4. You can buy a ton of f/2.8 zooms which isn't far off from f/2.4.
And normal lenses are supposedly the easiest lens design to make. Nikon and Sony both have inexpensive 35mm f/1.8 lenses for their APS-C cameras. If Pentax hopes to compete why did they make their equivalent so much slower but the same price?
no_nonsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:24 AM   #7

Though I am only a part time Pentaxians, mostly canon and olympus. I do shoot the k-x a decent amount.

Looking at this lens. It gives pentax a good prime, and it will focus faster as there is less lens travel over the 35mm 2.8 macro. But 2.4 is pretty good when you compare it to nikon and canon. The canon 28mm 2.8 is a slower focusing lens and 2/3 stop slower. To get a 1.8 or better you will move into an even more expense lens, at 400+ dollars with the canon with the ef 28 1.8 USM.

You will not find a 28mm eq prime. They just do not exist with any brand. ef 20mm 2.8 is the best you can find on the canon, and again that is a 400+ dollar lens.

But if you look at it, pentax has a decent prime selection at competitive prices vs the canon and nikon. If you consider the 50mm 1.4 from pentax. It is on par with canon's and nikon's 50mm 1.4. The nikon and canon 50mm 1.8 are good start out primes. But if you get serious into photography you will want to move up to the 50mm 1.4 as they are better lenses. And all the primes with nikon or canon are not stabilized. While the pentax you have ibis.

Form a prime shooter having the canon 28 1.8, 28 2.8, 50 1.4, 50 1.8, 85 1.8 and 100 2.8, I have had the plastic fantastic form canon. The ef 50 1.4 was a much better lens, and honestly I waited to long to upgrade to it. Also say pentax has come a pretty decent way with their primes. If you count the DA limited and FA primes. They come close to matching can in the mid grade and high end primes.

Yes pentax do not have that many low grade lenses compare to canon and nikon. But ask yourself. Do you really want to match a k7 with low end lens, it is like matching a 7D with low end lenses. It will work, but you will not be able to take advantage of the better body with those lenses.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 10, 2010 at 2:32 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:01 AM   #8

I can understand why you hang out with us Pentaxians - we're all very friendly and a little bit crazy. Can't beat that combination!

As a biker, you have two choices when it comes to equipment - you can either go cheap with the idea you can easily replace it when it gets beaten up. Or you can go expensive with the hope that it won't get beaten up as easily. This lens might be the perfect fit for you - get the WR kit lens with the K7 and then use this one when you don't need weather sealing. That would make a great deal of sense - you should definitely buy both right away and report back to us what you think of it, posting lots of examples...

As far as something wider, it's usually not all that difficult to find someone selling either the SMC 24 f2.8 or 28 f2.8, though (in my opinion) people have been getting crazy about prices.

I know that there are those who are seriously questioning what Pentax is doing with it, and are very disappointed it's not a Limited quality lens for a bargain price. I think they are being unreasonable. I do hope that this lens will sell well, but wonder if it's not too close in specs to the 35 macro. It'll all come down to the optics that are in it.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_nonsense4857 View Post
Hi Harriet,

After this news, i was reminded about your thread "in my shoes". Well i must say you are an extremely lucky person owning the good and the best lenses.

I am a biker who loves to shoot landscapes. I just want a good lens which is atleast 28mm equivalent (better if its still wider). I am looking for a prime cos i want the lens to be compact and fast too. For perspective, i right now own a Nikon D40 with the kit lens. But ever since i've discovered steves, i've only participated in the pentax forums and still not able to figure out why this attraction?!

Since i would be buying a body and a lens, i presume i'll be "locked" to the brand once i make the purchase.

To the untrained eye, Pentax seems like a costly affair when it comes to lens choice comparing the Nikons and the Canons. They have the modern (for the Digital SLR) fast primes at a much more competitive prices where as i would have to go searching in the flea market hoping to get my hands on the much adored "old" pentax lenses when i have a budget limitation.

I'm asking this as a wanna be pentaxian so PLEASE - would the real pentaxians please stand up...

Why would a person (who owns NO lenses to start with) - about to make a serious SLR choice - settle for Pentax??

I look forward to starting off with the super K7 with the WR kit lens. But what next...??I'm in agreement with the other poster. If you buy the top of the range K7, you would want to attach a top lens to this fine camera, I would think.

You mention that you want a wide angle prime of at least a 28mm equivalent, for taking pix of landscapes while you are traveling. I've never been good at math...so figuring out the 35mm equivalent of a digital lens is a bit beyond my limited skills. But I think the wide angle primes, Pentax 14 mm or Pentax 15 mm might be some where around that 28 equivalent category.

Perhaps someone could confirm as I am probably out in my calculations.

The 15 mm is an F 4 , the 14 mm an F 2.8. I have attached owner ratings for both.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...F2.8-Lens.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...ited-Lens.html

When you say you are a biker, I'm assuming you are a motorcyclist, as opposed to a bicyclist.

I have ridden motorcycles since 1965, currently have two vintage motorcycles.

Motorcycles in my experience....vibrate...rather more then a car . Probably you intend to carry the camera equipment, in saddlebags or panniers....again a guess on my part.

Vibration is hard on an electronic device such as a camera and lens. A well padded, water and dust proof case, would be in order. Even keeping the lens...separate from the camera body....both in well padded, secure cases, in addition to the saddlebags/panniers/backpack, etc... is something to consider.

The vibration / ride of a motorcycle is also generally more rough then ...say a Buick sedan. So, the harshness / vibration will be harder on camera equipment. So padding to absorb vibration and to absorb the harder ride needs to be a consideration...for any camera brand, IMO.

Of course cargo space is limited on a motorcycle...so a very good camera and lens that is small is a bonus. Pentax is known for capable, but small DSLR's and the primes are also compact.

Another Pentax bonus is that the K7 is very well sealed vs weather and I believe Pentax bills it as an outdoors person's camera.

As a traveler I know you want to be able to grab the camera and take pix of subjects, quickly, without undue hassle.

Theres already some pentax bashing going on elsewhere....
I've had Pentax SLR / DSLR equipment since 1968. The reason I've stayed with the brand, is that I've been happy with the picture quality and the equipment quality that this brand delivers.

But I've never carried any camera equipment of any brand aboard one of my motorcycles, which are admittedly not soft suspended tourers...but more in the sports bike category I can't offer any actual experience with camera and bike.

Anyways sounds exciting....let us know what you decide.

Last edited by lesmore49; Sep 10, 2010 at 4:43 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:42 PM   #10

camera on bike on a sporting side. Point and Shoots. Something along the olympus tough, sony tx5 and panasonic tz2. On the higher image quality side, something like the lx3 or lx5 or s90 or s95. Really rugged cameras are a good idea, dslr and all the bouncing would not be good for the mirror box.