Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:31 PM   #1

Default Pentax Kx lens(es)

which AF lens(es) do you recommend for the Pentax Kx?
are the kit lenses any good? (18-55, 50-200, 55-300)
someone told me that i might find the kit lenses a bit slow.

a friend of mine has a Nikon D60 with a 18-105 that seems to fill most needs - what do you think about a lens like that? got a link? please provide - much appreciated.
vinnybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:34 PM   #2

go with the kit lens with the 18-55 and 55-300. The 55-300 is a better lens and sharper then the 50-200.

18-105 will leave you short. The 2 lens option is not a bad one. But if you want a 1 lens option, if you can fine a tamron or pentax 18-250. That would be a good megazoom all around lens. Though it will not be as good as 2 lenses in image quality.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:36 PM   #3

PS

The kit lenses are not slow in Auto Focus. The are on par all the other kit lens if you are referring to aperture as speed.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:54 PM   #4

While the kit lenses are a bit slow from an aperture point of view, but they are inexpensive and light. Anything much faster will cost significantly more, be significantly larger and be quite a bit heavier. Do you really NEED a faster lens and are you willing to lug around a tank of a lens, or multiple prime lenses (there are people that would happily say yes to that, but I think they are in the minority). I agree with shoturtle that the 55-300 is a better lens than the 50-200, so if you can afford it, go that way.

I know I'd be miserable with only one lens that goes only to 105. I'd rather walk around with the 50-300 and forget the wide angle, but that's a reflection of how I photograph things. There are lots of people who never shoot more than about 70.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:44 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

It also depends on what your habits are. For everyday pictures, the kit lens works great for an affordable price. If you're looking to do sports photography, or indoor photography, a faster ($$$s) lens would be in order. Focal length would depend on if you plan to do alot pf telephoto images.

Similar to what Shoturtle says, I found the 18-250 (Pentax or Tamron) to be a great everyday lens. I used this lens when travelling: lightweight, compact and for the most part, excellent IQ. Slow??? Yes, knowing its limitations and its strenghts gave me some great images.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:42 PM   #6

Hmmm the 18-250 sounds like an expensive lens?
vinnybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:38 PM   #7

I just looked and they run around $500 - the Pentax 18-250 ($400 for the Tamron version in the Pentax mount). On the flip side, the camera (Kx) with the kit lens runs about $50 more than the body only and the 2 lens kit runs as low as $600 (most places have this at about $700) (body only runs about $430). You need to shop on line for these prices, and with the new Kr camera announced, the Kx prices should be pretty reasonable (and possibly the higher retail prices drifting down to the lower retailer's prices).
So, taking the initial package deal, essentially gets you a 2 lens kit covering 18 to 300mm for $170 ~ $270, actually not a bad deal. The DA L 55 - 300mm lens that is in the kit, has a plastic mount but is the same optics as the DA 55-300 which sell by itself for about $370 to $400. So, Pentax saved on manufacturing by removing the creature comforts, but leaving the lenses quality optics. Compared to the all in one lens (18-250, you are paying more for the single lens convenience - at a slight degradation in optical quality - a lens of this zoom range is a bit more difficult to design and make.)

The kit lenses in the Pentax kit, essentially exceed the lenses packaged by the other vendors in their kits, so it is not a bad deal at all.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:36 PM   #8

There is only one problem with the 18-250, it is trying to find one. As they discontinued the lens, and the replacement 18-120 is not out yet for the pentax.