Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:18 PM   #1

Default Everyday Use Lens

Hello all,

I recently purchased the k-x with the two lens kit (18-55, and 50-200). I take a lot of pictures for my son's boy scout troop and shoot group shots as well as close-up action shots, indoors and outside. I also would like to explore other areas, close-up macro shooting, landscapes, portraits, etc.

I am interested in knowing what "everyday" lens everyone uses, and the typical type of photography for which you use it. Obviously, one lens won't do all the above with great results in all situations.

I am considering purchasing an "all purpose" lens I can use to reduce the amount of lens switching.

Thanks,

Osnap
Osnap65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:41 PM   #2

It's funny that we buy DSLR for the flexibility then the first thing we want to do is make them all-purpose. However, me too. I use a 17-70 and it suits me almost perfectly. I usually don't do nature/bird/wildlife/sports type photography. I started with an 18-55 and I did find the 55plus side too short. The 17-70 took away that burden. If anything, I'd want to get a "shorter" lens one day. Like a 10-20 or something. Not right now but someday.

Do you find yourself wishing your 18-55 was just a bit wider? or longer? or thinking 200mm is just too short?
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:27 PM   #3

I don't have one everyday lens, I have a number of them. I've had to limit the weight of my camera bag due to shoulder problems recently. At the moment my bag has the DA 35 Macro Limited, FA 77 Limited, Vivitar Series One 105 Macro and DA*200 in it. At times the DA 10-17 rotates through (the bag is big enough to include this lens if packed right). And if I'm going to be hiking I'll leave my beloved DA*200 home and take the DA*300 instead. It doesn't bother me at all to shoot with only primes and this combination is reasonable weight-wise (assuming only one of the two long lenses).

On the other hand, I'm equally happy walking around with the DA 12-24, DA*50-135 and DA*300. That does tend to make for a heavy camera bag as I'll miss something around 200 and occasionally something between 24 and 50.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:33 AM   #4

I can't say I have an everyday lens, but the one I would favour is the SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5. A really good quality quality piece of glass and metal, that's the downside (it's a heavy beastie), it performs well through its full range, and is very good wide open. Many users claim it's as sharp as a prime lens at most settings. ... Jack.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...Zoom-Lens.html
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:36 AM   #5

Tamron 18-250. I shoot everything including very high ISO with this lens. Two examples below. Low light at full zoom at ISO 12,800 and a landscape shot of our mountain. The kx creates a lot of possiblilites.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:39 AM   #6

only problem with the 18-250 is finding one.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:16 AM   #7

Frank,

You are correct. It is funny that I'm asking about an all around lens and I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. I had read several posts where people talk about their "walk around" lens and I guess that is really what I was asking about. My only concern with switching lenses is the dust issue, but I do take all precautions while switching. Being completely new to dslr I've read a lot of articles about dust/cleaning sensors, etc..

Perhaps that is a good question to ask as well. How long has everyone had their dslr and how often do you clean the sensor? Not just the dust removal feature, but actual cleaning of the sensor.

Thanks
Osnap65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 2:58 AM   #8

Hi Osnap,

You two lens kit is the same set I started out with almost 5 years ago when I returned to photography. It covers nearly everything. The lenses I added after about a year were essentially out side that range - for landscapes. Then extended the top end with the 55-300 when it came out.

One thing to remember is that for zooms, their individual range should be on the order of 4x (18-55 is about 3+x and the 50-200 is 4x). When you start to run significantly past this range the optical design needs to compromise. What suffers is image quality. So, the 18-200, or 250, is a wonderful idea, but you have to understand that in order to get there some shortcuts were made so as to be able to reach across that rather wide range of focal lengths. For the 18-250 lens (range of 13.8x) you can see the stretch. Now, with that range - yes you do hold down the number of lenses you need to carry and change - so there are benefits to be had.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:10 AM   #9

My apologies, the Tamron 18-250 is indeed impossible to find. Adorama has it discountinued and B&H has it out of stock. The Tamron 18-200, however, is a very good deal at $189 at B&H. Very well reviewed at B&H.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osnap65 View Post

Perhaps that is a good question to ask as well. How long has everyone had their dslr and how often do you clean the sensor? Not just the dust removal feature, but actual cleaning of the sensor.
Hi Osnap,

I haven't found dust to be the problem I anticipated when I first migrated from P&S class digitals to DSLRs, and that was 4 bodies, 6 years, and a couple of hundred shutter actuations ago -- and probably at least a thousand lens changes. In all this time, I've yet to have to wet clean a sensor (tap on wood, fingers crossed, and any other good luck gesture that might help). For me, the sensor cleaning modes have worked well, and for stubborn particles, a couple of puffs from a Rocket Blower have done the trick for both sensor dust and those pesky dust and fiber particles that seem to constantly get into the viewfinder.

Keep up with the careful lens changes -- it's when one gets cavalier about this that the troubles seem to start.

I take care to keep the lens mount facing down whenever I take a lens off, and perform the lens change in as short a period of time as possible. I go so far as to keep a small sized rocket blower in my pocket and blow off the back end of any lens I'm about to mount before I remove the mounted lens and put the new one on the camera. I then blow off the lens I just removed (and blow out the rear lens cap before I replace it) before I put it back in the bag. Rocket blowers are an essential accessory, IMO -- I think I have 4 of them in different sizes. . .This is one area where paranoia is good, IMO.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Sep 19, 2010 at 9:22 AM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote