Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:04 PM   #1

Default Sigma 400/5.6 APO AF

Any opinions on this lens? If I do get a K100 I'd like to have a long AF lens fo when I just don't feel like or have the right light to use a MF one. Does it fully work on a digital body as I assume it's from the days of film.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:21 AM   #2

Hi John,

I can't give a personal testimonial on this lens, but from reputation, this is a very good lens. Between the APO AF and APO AF Macro, the Macro is supposed to be the better variant, and is the one most often recommended. Any non APO Sigma 400s are not considered to be very good.

My understanding is that the FA*400/5.6 was better, but on the market, it's usually been priced at quite a few times what the Sigmas command, and at that, it is significantly overpriced. From reputation, after the FA*, I'd probably rank the Sigma APO Macro AF 1st by a margin, the Tokina 400 f5.6 AT-X AF 2nd, and the Sigma APO AF 3rd.

Any fully functional AF lens will give you full AF and AE functionality on any Pentax DSLR body. That's why Pentax backwards lens compatibility is truly a great feature.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. The Sigma was sold while I was thinking about it but perhaps I should just hold out for a better one. Might help to have a body to mount it to first as well i suppose

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote