Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:40 PM   #11

riorico, I semi agree but I find that often lenses are faster than their own good.

IE, a lens that is F/2.8 often performs best at f4 or f 5.6 where as an F/4 lens generally is really best at F/8.

these are generalizations of course cuz every lens is different but Id rather stop down a fast lens than a moderate one.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Slower is often sharper (and much cheaper). My Taks top out at 200, with the SuperTak 200/4 (US$37) and the TeleTak 200/5.6 (US$29) which is a small marvel. My only 300 is an Alpa-Chinon 300/5.6 (US$27) that is also quite sharp. These are all M42's, not exactly the latest word but they'll do. When a faster lens is often used stopped-down a bit to improve DOF, crispness, etc, maybe it makes sense to go for a slower bargain that starts off as sharp as a pricier lens that must be stopped down for similar performance. Just a thought.
Like NMR i kinda agree with this but one thing i like about having the option of fast glass is low light. I often shoot in the evenings hand held so having the option of 2.8 or 4 even if not as sharp can be good. What sharpness that is gained by stopping down could be lost in camera shake. Having a Pentax body might change that of course

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:52 PM   #13

i have the smc300/4, the super-tak 300/4 and the tammy 300/2.8. i've also had the *A 300/4..
the A* without a doubt was the best. the others perform great. the tam300/2.8 is a very good lens also but it weighs 6 pounds and takes a 112mm filter.. it's heavy and i use a strap to tote it around.. hope this helps..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:57 PM   #14

takes 112mm filter? I dont know robar, mine takes a 49mm filter in the middle. You can open the middle chamber and pop any standard 49mm filter in, its actually extremely convenient to use same filters on the 50mm as the 300 and saves lots of money
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:09 PM   #15

i'm not talking about the in lens filter.
i'm talking about a filter that goes on the front of the tam 300/2.8
my 500/4.5 also will take internal filters.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:06 PM   #16

This is my Pentax 300 f1:4 (M42 Takumar) with the 1.7 auto focus adapter mounted to my *ist DS all on what used to be a .22 rifle. The trigger is wired to the camera for auto focus (first pressure) and exposure (second pressure).

John
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 8:53 AM   #17

very nice john.. what if we don't have AF??
got a remedy???
Old Nov 1, 2010, 3:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
very nice john.. what if we don't have AF??
got a remedy???
Roy, I have the Auto Focus Adapter but I have made an earlier one of these on a metal bracket which had a cable operated focusing knob on a front handle, it is on here somewhere likely under 'photo sniper' or some such.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:57 PM   #19

Try takin that to DC