Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Close Focusing Lens

So I bought (for a decent price) a Tamaron 135mm Close Focusing 03B lens.

Not sure the magnification for macro is on this, but I figured with a 2.5 max aperture, and the price, if it worked how bad can it be.

Figured a good way to see if i want to go further into Macro later with more pricey lenses. But I digress.

So after figuring out how to get a manual lens to work on my K2000 (yes i read the manual, asked here, and read a number of web sites) but could not get the shutter to release for some reason. Took a couple days off from that lens, mounted it this morning, worked fine. Hummmm. But I digress once again.

So it uses an adaptall 2 mount system, for Pentax KM.
The camera seems to work using Av.
Here is the thing however, and I am sure this is just my not understanding how lenses or this lens works.
If I pull the lever on the lens, it opens the aperture up as opposed to stopping it down (in other words, whatever I set the F stop to, the iris closes at that time, and if I flick the lever while looking through the lens, it opens all the way). I thought the iris should remain open, until it was activated to close. Pressing the Av button (which i am assuming is the "green" button a lot refer to, and the manual says to use) does nothing (or apparently does nothing) except maybe stop the F-- from flashing.

Any in-sight into that for me?
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:56 PM   #2

Not sure what you mean by flip the lever. If it's a KM adaptall mount and not a KA that means you have to set the aperture manually which it sounds like you are doing. I assume it is no different than for me to shoot with adaptall glass on my Olympus body, I set the camera to A and set the aperture, focus and shoot. Downside is of course that it limits how far I can stop down since if it's too dark I can't focus!

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:45 PM   #3

OK, that sounds like what is going on. For some reason I thought the lens was suppose to stay open, and when the Av button was pressed, the camera closed it down and took a reading. Would make sense because then you would have a wide open lens for focusing.
But it does not appear to work that way.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:57 PM   #4

To do that you need a PK-A adapter for the lens. If you are going to do a lot of shooting with Adaptall lenses it makes sense to invest in one, because like you say it's way easier to focus wide open.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofa View Post

Not sure the magnification for macro is on this, but I figured with a 2.5 max aperture, and the price, if it worked how bad can it be.

Figured a good way to see if i want to go further into Macro later with more pricey lenses. But I digress.

So after figuring out how to get a manual lens to work on my K2000 (yes i read the manual, asked here, and read a number of web sites) but could not get the shutter to release for some reason. Took a couple days off from that lens, mounted it this morning, worked fine. Hummmm. But I digress once again.

So it uses an adaptall 2 mount system, for Pentax KM.
The camera seems to work using Av.
Here is the thing however, and I am sure this is just my not understanding how lenses or this lens works.
If I pull the lever on the lens, it opens the aperture up as opposed to stopping it down (in other words, whatever I set the F stop to, the iris closes at that time, and if I flick the lever while looking through the lens, it opens all the way). I thought the iris should remain open, until it was activated to close. Pressing the Av button (which i am assuming is the "green" button a lot refer to, and the manual says to use) does nothing (or apparently does nothing) except maybe stop the F-- from flashing.

Any in-sight into that for me?
Hi,
To use that lens in aperture priority mode, you'll need to make some settings in the Custom menu ...
1. Using Aperture ring set to Permitted
2.AE-L (Green button on some models) set to TV shift
This allows you to select the required aperture manually, and the camera will set the exposure time when you press the AE-L or Green button. The lens should stop down automatically when used this way.
Another point is that the camera wont trigger an exposure if the AF switch is on until the lens is focussed.
BTW I think you'll find that with Tamron lenses CF usually means continuous focus, and not always close focus, with this lens close focus is correct, it can be a confusing issue. ... http://adaptall-2.org/lenses/03B.html

You may ind this link useful for Tamron lens Info

http://adaptall-2.org/

Last edited by jachol; Sep 26, 2010 at 5:15 AM.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Hi,
To use that lens in aperture priority mode, you'll need to make some settings in the Custom menu ...
1. Using Aperture ring set to Permitted
2.AE-L (Green button on some models) set to TV shift
This allows you to select the required aperture manually, and the camera will set the exposure time when you press the AE-L or Green button. The lens should stop down automatically when used this way.
Another point is that the camera wont trigger an exposure if the AF switch is on until the lens is focussed.
BTW I think you'll find that with Tamron lenses CF usually means continuous focus, and not always close focus, with this lens close focus is correct, it can be a confusing issue. ... http://adaptall-2.org/lenses/03B.html

You may ind this link useful for Tamron lens Info

http://adaptall-2.org/
Hi again,
Later I searched for more info on the K2000 (KM in Europe) as I'm not familiar with that model, and I'm not sure that you have AE-L or green button.
There is this tutorial on use of manual lenses with the K10D, I think the info given there should help you with your model. ... Jack

http://www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:24 PM   #7

The manual says when a Manual (M) lens is used, you can press the Av button and the lens is stopped down for the camera to take a reading.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 7:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofa View Post
Maybe I can hijack this thread. You did not mention the min focusing distance of this lens.
But my Zenitar 16mm, a non-macro lens can do 1 ft . That I call it close

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:22 AM   #9

Daniel, you're so right about the Zenitar ... I shot these close-ups with it on an occasion I found I'd left the DA 18-55 at home (the 2 lenses have similar padded leather bags). I was still very pleased with the results. ... Jack

Correction ... The last shot was a DA 18-55 close-up not the Zenitar 16mm fisheye.
Attached Images

Last edited by jachol; Oct 24, 2010 at 9:34 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:09 AM   #10

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

While we're threadjacking, I'll mention how to make any manual lens a close-focus lens: Extend it. Put a tube behind it. For screwmount lenses, that's as simple as using a cheap safe flanged no-infinity-focus adapter. To get closer, use the thinnest tube section. Extending slightly an already close-focus lens like a Meyer Oreston 50/1.8 can be dramatic, although not into the realm of flatfield macro. Hmmm, I should put my M42 Tokina 21/3.8 (my widest rectinlinear) on a flanged adapter, see how close it can go while still maintaining depth.