Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Les... the DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited would make a fantastic companion for your KM. I know you don't like plastic much, but if you can deal with it the new DA 35mm f/2.4 sounds promising, cheaper and half a stop faster. We'll have to wait for tests to see if it's as sharp as we hope.

To answer your question about fast, wide-angle, third-party primes... they don't get very wide while remaining very fast... but I submit these two Sigmas for your consideration. The first is a pretty big lens, but is less money than the second and works very well. It should even work on a full-frame camera, given its DG designation. The Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF Macro:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=217763&is=USA

This second lens isn't quite as wide as the previous one but is faster. Very sharp in the center but a bit soft at the edges (although not anywhere near as bad as some people would have you believe). It's a great lens for portraits and low-light work. Plus it's still half the price of a FA 31mm f/1.9 Limited - and still faster. It will only work on an APS-C DSLR due to its DC designation. The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=433041&is=REG
Biro,

Thanks for the links and the info. It's certainly something to think about. I did seriously consider getting the Sigma 10-20mm F4 a couple of times. I tried it on my K10D and I liked the extreme..wide angle.

In the end I went with the Pentax 12-24mm...less wide, more expensive....I'm very pleased with the 12-24mm.

I should consider Sigma again.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Biro,

I did seriously consider getting the Sigma 10-20mm F4 a couple of times. I tried it on my K10D and I liked the extreme..wide angle.

In the end I went with the Pentax 12-24mm...less wide, more expensive....I'm very pleased with the 12-24mm.
Ha! You know, I may be in the same place right now. If you don't mind me hijacking the thread just a bit, what made you opt for the Pentax 12-24, even though it's more expensive and not as wide as the Sigma, which has many fans?

Since I have both the DA* 16-50 and the DA 16-45, I keep wondering if I should spring $700 U.S. on a lens that is only 4mm wider. And, like you, I really like the 10mm extreme wide angle. But perhaps you can convince me that the Pentax is the way to go.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 5:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Ha! You know, I may be in the same place right now. If you don't mind me hijacking the thread just a bit, what made you opt for the Pentax 12-24, even though it's more expensive and not as wide as the Sigma, which has many fans?

Since I have both the DA* 16-50 and the DA 16-45, I keep wondering if I should spring $700 U.S. on a lens that is only 4mm wider. And, like you, I really like the 10mm extreme wide angle. But perhaps you can convince me that the Pentax is the way to go.
I don't have the 16-50, but I do have the 16-45...good lens. I've used the 16-45 for about 3 years and it's been great, but I feel the 12-24mm eclipses the 16-45 in quality of picture...but don't get me wrong the 16-45 takes very good pix.

I like the extra 4mm with the 12-24mm...it allows me to get in closer...a tighter picture, IMO, as a result. I still use my 16-45...primarily as my daily carry around with my small KM (K2000).

I also have an 18-55, 10-17mm Fisheye (another lens I really love), 50 F 1.4 normal, 50mm F2.8 Macro, 55-300, 35-105 'A' Macro zoom, F 3.5 (had since '84-top notch).

I spent a fair amount of time agonizing over whether to get the Pentax 12-24mm or the Sigma 10-20mm wide angles.

The Pentax 12-24mm is quite expensive in Canada, but I was fortunate to get a deal...even with a deal...still pricier then the Sigma.

The pro's for Pentax were....in my mind:

• Quality- I'm not saying Pentax is better quality then Sigma...I don't know. But I have had Pentax lenses from 1968 to present and I've never had one I wasn't happy with, except the 18-55 kit lens....and I got the 18-55 in between when I bought my Pentax 16-45 and 12-24. As both of these latter lenses are considerably up the scale from the 18-55...I know it's not a fair comparison and I think the 18-55 is competitive with the Canon/Nikon 18-55 kit lens. Good lens to start with for someone new to photography, but not for me....as I'm no spring chicken with photography...I'm an old 'cowhand.'
  • The 12-24mm Pentax is a wonderful lens. The picture quality of mine, is exceptionally sharp, clear. I love it and it has become my regular lens on my K10D. Don't think it has been off that camera body since I got it this past April or May. It has a bit of flare sometimes....but then it's to be expected....shooting vs the sun.
  • The construction of the 12-24mm seems pretty robust and I'm happy with the build quality.
  • Popular Photo (Sept. 2010...The Guide) rates it as .."..the best in class....top dog in a hot category.. 4 stars..". PP rates it higher (in # of stars) then the Sigma 10-20 or the Nikon 12-24mm
  • The 12-24mm is a Pentax...so I assumed it would function perfectly on my two Pentax bodies...a K10D and a KM (K2000)...it does.
  • I have only bought two non-Pentax lenses...back in the mid 70's and I wasn't happy with them. BTW...they were not Sigma, Tamron or Tokina, which I'm positive make great lenses.
Sigma Pro's:

• Price is cheaper.
  • The Sigma has a 10 year warranty as opposed to the Pentax 2 year warranty up here.
  • Sigma 10-20mm has a very good reputation and lot's of shooters with Pentax, Canon, Nikon use it and seem enthusiastic about the quality of this lens.
  • The Sigma has 2 mm more in extreme wide angle and 4 mm less moderate wide angle then the 12-24mm.
In the end I went with the Pentax, because even though it was more expensive, I have a very understanding wife...who is very nice about accommodating / humouring me.

Also I felt the 12-24mm going by the PP rating was the better lens and I plan to use it a lot (already made 1000's of pix in less then 6 months) for as long as I'm shooting pix...and so far I've got 42 years under my belt.

I also didn't want any 'matching and functioning' issues with a non Pentax lens. With a firm as well known as Sigma, I didn't think I would encounter any difficulties as this lens is a popular lens for Pentax users...I just felt more comfortable using Pentax lenses. It's just me.

So that was my reasoning that led up to my final decision to get the Pentax 12-24mm over the Sigma 10-20mm F4.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 4, 2010 at 5:21 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:45 PM   #14

Hi Les and Brio,

I too have the 16-45, 12-24 and 10-17. I went with the 12-24 because of the quality and the additional width. The 4mm additional width translates in to 17 degrees wider, so it is substantial.

I opted for the 12-24 over the Sigma 10-20 simply due to distortion. I thought that a slightly narrower lens with better distortion control would do better in the long run. I have seen some wonderful images from the Sigma, but I thought that not pushing the wider end too much would in itself help with the image quality.

The 12-24 is better in the lower reaches, however as the two lenses overlap, the 16-45 is better in the 24 range in terms of resolution. If I need to go wider, I can either stitch with the 12-24 or go with the 10-17.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:41 AM   #15

I'm wrestling with this... but plan to make a decision very soon - even if I have to blindfold myself and throw a dart at pictures of each lens. In terms of price and wide-angle field of view, I'd like the Sigma 10-20. In every other way, I'd feel better with the Pentax 12-24.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:27 PM   #16

This weekend I stumbled over a used DA 14mm at an irresistible price. I'm amazed by the difference in viewing angle between 14mm and 16mm, which was the widest I had before.

Name:  IMGP4787web.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  177.1 KB

I have yet to examine the IQ, but reading the reviews I don't think I'll be dissappointed.
After getting the FA 20mm a few weeks ago, and now this DA 14mm I think the 16-45mm will be left in the cupboard for some time.
If now Pentax could develop and release a rectilinear 10mm f2.8 prime lens...

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:49 PM   #17

Well, Kjell... if you're impressed by the dsifference between 16 and 14mm... perhaps I would be satisfied with 12mm.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Hi Les and Brio,

I too have the 16-45, 12-24 and 10-17. I went with the 12-24 because of the quality and the additional width. The 4mm additional width translates in to 17 degrees wider, so it is substantial.

I opted for the 12-24 over the Sigma 10-20 simply due to distortion. I thought that a slightly narrower lens with better distortion control would do better in the long run. I have seen some wonderful images from the Sigma, but I thought that not pushing the wider end too much would in itself help with the image quality.

The 12-24 is better in the lower reaches, however as the two lenses overlap, the 16-45 is better in the 24 range in terms of resolution. If I need to go wider, I can either stitch with the 12-24 or go with the 10-17.

Thanks interested observer for your views. I agree with a lot of what you say.

You also mentioned that you have the Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye, as i do.

This is one versatile lens that I find that is one of my favoured lenses...the things this baby will do and in a pinch.... I find if I play around with angles...it can also function @ 17mm as a passable wide angle.

Over the year I've had it....I've astounded myself with what can be done with it...I think of all the lenses I've ever had...this one makes me think about angles and the pix I want, then all of the rest of the repertoire.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
This weekend I stumbled over a used DA 14mm at an irresistible price. I'm amazed by the difference in viewing angle between 14mm and 16mm, which was the widest I had before.

Attachment 163886

I have yet to examine the IQ, but reading the reviews I don't think I'll be dissappointed.
After getting the FA 20mm a few weeks ago, and now this DA 14mm I think the 16-45mm will be left in the cupboard for some time.
If now Pentax could develop and release a rectilinear 10mm f2.8 prime lens...

Kjell
The 40 mm F 2.8 has a strong appeal...although it's very difficult for me to rationalize getting it, considering I have a number of wide angles.

The pix you posted gives a good view of what this 14 mm can do...looks really good....from a relatively, distortion less view of the driver and the interior of the Opel....to the view of the wide highway....and it's a fast F2.8.