Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:04 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
NMRecording's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern Appalachains
Posts: 866
Default

if you're lookin for something not too expensive, tamron made a 80-250 which I hear is pretty decent and Ive heard of people picking these up under fifty bucks. Also, if you want a nice priced zoom and dont mind gettin rid of the AF, I would recommend any SP version of tamron. They really blew me away with quality with the SP line, and thats taking price out of the picture, which is significantly less than the pentax versions.

I cant deny the quality of the 60-250 of course if you can drop that kind of money.


which one are you getting?
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:18 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
guillermovilas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hasselt , Belgium
Posts: 794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
if you're lookin for something not too expensive, tamron made a 80-250 which I hear is pretty decent and Ive heard of people picking these up under fifty bucks. Also, if you want a nice priced zoom and dont mind gettin rid of the AF, I would recommend any SP version of tamron. They really blew me away with quality with the SP line, and thats taking price out of the picture, which is significantly less than the pentax versions.

I cant deny the quality of the 60-250 of course if you can drop that kind of money.


which one are you getting?
I don't know yet , depends which one i find first at a good price secondhand
__________________
PENTAX K3
Pentax 35mm f/2.4 AL SMC DA
Pentax 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED IF SMC P-DA Fish-Eye
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:06 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
guillermovilas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hasselt , Belgium
Posts: 794
Default

I've now added another lens to my list , a Sigma 120-400 mm F/4.5-5.6 APO HSM

It's been discontinued because now they only make it with "OS" (image stabilizer).
I've got a Pentax body so what's the point getting the OS version anyway .

It is heavy ,1750kgs but by what i have read the IQ especially stopped to F/8 is very good and so is the AF.
For shooting motobikes on circuit i'd use a monopod anyway , i'm hesitating now , at €600 new it's a real bargain , just hope i won't regret it when it's too late
I'd have to decide pretty quickly , they have only one left

Would a Pentax 60-250mm f/4 with TC perform better then this Sigma

Does anyone know what the difference is between this 120-400mm and the very similar Sigma 80-400mm
__________________
PENTAX K3
Pentax 35mm f/2.4 AL SMC DA
Pentax 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED IF SMC P-DA Fish-Eye
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:44 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Frogfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 2,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermovilas View Post
I've now added another lens to my list , a Sigma 120-400 mm F/4.5-5.6 APO HSM

It's been discontinued because now they only make it with "OS" (image stabilizer).
I've got a Pentax body so what's the point getting the OS version anyway .

It is heavy ,1750kgs but by what i have read the IQ especially stopped to F/8 is very good and so is the AF.
For shooting motobikes on circuit i'd use a monopod anyway
You will need one helluva monopod !!
__________________
http://frogfish.smugmug.com
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:59 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
John.Pattullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 613
Default

damn near 2 ton of lens - must be fixed f1 aperture =) needs a nickname how about the sigodzilla (one up ont he sigmonster) - seriously though you cant compare this to the 60-250 the focal lengths are jsut to different - you need to descide what focal range you need and by how far your willing to compromise on focal lengths - then easier to advise you on lenses
__________________
Flickr
PENTAX K-5 & PENTAX K-7
Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 | Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8 | Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax-DA* 60-250mm f4 | Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:20 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
guillermovilas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hasselt , Belgium
Posts: 794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
damn near 2 ton of lens - must be fixed f1 aperture =) needs a nickname how about the sigodzilla (one up ont he sigmonster) - seriously though you cant compare this to the 60-250 the focal lengths are jsut to different - you need to descide what focal range you need and by how far your willing to compromise on focal lengths - then easier to advise you on lenses
For shooting bikes on circuit , it will have to be 400mm minimum therefore a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 or a Pentax 60-250mm f/4 would have to come with a TC.

Hesitating between the Sigmas
120-400mm
150-500mm

They make them now with OS but i can still get the old version without it for much less, having a Pentax body what is the point having stabilised lenses ???
__________________
PENTAX K3
Pentax 35mm f/2.4 AL SMC DA
Pentax 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED IF SMC P-DA Fish-Eye
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:30 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
guillermovilas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hasselt , Belgium
Posts: 794
Default

Well after testing both Sigmas 120-400mm and 150-500mm in my local shop , i found that both lenses produced equivalent optical results , neither lens producing sharper pictures no better AF one over the other and this handheld with body stalilisation .
What made me choose the 120-400m is ergonomics , it is better in hand , better balanced and the zooming ring was smoother and easier to manipulate .
Allthough i would have liked the extra 100mm reach , the 120-400mm really was the better choice for me , it`s big but still not too big,no problem using it handheld , the 150-500mm really felt too massive .
__________________
PENTAX K3
Pentax 35mm f/2.4 AL SMC DA
Pentax 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED IF SMC P-DA Fish-Eye
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:32 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
NMRecording's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern Appalachains
Posts: 866
Default

grats on your new lens!

Cant wait to see some shots posted with it
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:40 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Congrats! Make sure you post pictures!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:45 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
guillermovilas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hasselt , Belgium
Posts: 794
Default

Shots will come
__________________
PENTAX K3
Pentax 35mm f/2.4 AL SMC DA
Pentax 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED IF SMC P-DA Fish-Eye
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.