Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:53 PM   #1

Default finally a dedicated macro

Well I was blown away with the 300mm sp, so I thought Id jump for the 90mm SP 2.5. I have been eyeballing the 2.8 version, but I picked the lens up with the extension tube which allows 1:1 and still has 1.3 feet focus distance, which seemed to be about the same as the 2.8 version. So it seemed the only thing I would lose would be the AF, which I dont care that much for and a little light from the extension tube, but is that alone worth the extra 2 hundred dollars? We'l see down the road.

I am hoping the 90mm SP 2.5 + the 90mm sp ext. tube prove as a worthy duet to my macro needs. Hopefully Monday I can stop nearly poking insects with front of my reversed pentacon

If anyone has the 90sp, could you link me a pic or post one to show me just what it can do? I bought on reviews but havent seen any pics, (that I know of...)
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2010, 12:00 AM   #2

Isn't it always that way, you are getting a great pic, then suddenly you realize their antennae are bending because you are THAT close!!!!
Or the scorpion is coming towards you and realize that YOU are THAT close...and look over the camera and...EEEEEKKKK!!!!!
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 12:01 AM   #3

Hurry and show us some shots...can't wait...
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 6:20 PM   #4

oh i definitely will come monday, lens should be here monday am most likely if my calculations are correct. Im excited!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:03 AM   #5

I was under the impression that with the 90/2.5 the 1' focus distance was w/o the tube.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:14 PM   #6

i have no idea, I saw on a forum that someone had the tube on and was focusing at 1.3 feet, so he says so Im going with that. lens didnt get shipped till monday and I was in impression it went out saturday morning, it went out this afternoon and says I should receive Wed, so Itll be another 2 days
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:23 PM   #7

Well you could focus at 1.3 feet but it might not 1;1 there. I'm really curious to know as if it is that lens jumps to the top of my que. The posibilities are endless.

John
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:54 PM   #8

john, will be receiving it tomorrow at 4:15 (estimated delivery, always wonder how they state that kind of estimation and include minutes as well but well see)

For the price of this lens, even if its not making its claims, its still incredible. There were no other said lenses that produced results quite like it for under 300.00 and I got it for 1/3rd of that with the extension tube included.

II also enjoyed the image quality of the lens being used at 90mm regular mode (portraits) (I did see plenty of examples of the 90 2.5 used as a portrait lens, just none of its macro) but like I said on paper and with reviews it looks amazing Im still super excited.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:22 PM   #9

FWIW Paul Harcour Davies considers the 90/2.5 as one of the few macro lenses that have 'it' as he put it. Having seen the quality of his work if he thinks it's a great lens I'm sure it is. Really looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.

John
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:52 AM   #10

A few sample pics here ... Jack.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/tamron/...macro_adaptall
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote