Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:56 PM   #1

Default First Test of DA 35mm f/2.4

I have to share this with you. A member of another Pentax forum (who lives in Singapore) got one of the first DA 35mm f/2.4 lenses and ran quite an extensive test comparing it with the old FA 35mm f/2.0 (with which it shares much of its design), the DA 35mm f/2.8 macro Limited and the old A 35mm f/2.0. The latest plastic-fantastic Pentax lens appears to hold its own and then some:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...ny-photos.html
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:32 AM   #2

great, just when I called my kit complete. I wonder, with having a 28mm prime if I would actually use this? the answer is yes.

Looks amazing, i pixel peeped all those pics and it looks like the top contender next to da 35 macro and even fared better than the fa 35 in some shots IMO. I liked how there was less blue fringing and thought interesting to see how the auto white balance worked best with this lens,
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:18 PM   #3

I thought some of the pictures had better bokeh than the DA 35 macro, which can get a bit busy at times. It's good for a macro lens but only OK for a non-macro lens.

I think this new lens will be an excellent addition to the Pentax line-up.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:42 PM   #4

i do think they should reduce the price on this one abit to be more in line with the competitions cheap primes and make a DA version with quick shift and metal mount - but regardless i dont think this is a lens i would use much - looking through my photos i dont have many in and around the 35mm mark so a prime at that focal length i think would be a mistake for me personally, but it is nice to see pentax producing some nice lenses
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I thought some of the pictures had better bokeh than the DA 35 macro, which can get a bit busy at times. It's good for a macro lens but only OK for a non-macro lens.

I think this new lens will be an excellent addition to the Pentax line-up.
Hi Harriet... you own the DA 35 Limited macro, right? If you were just begining to collect Pentax primes (like me) would you go for the Limited or this new lens?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:25 PM   #6

Yes, I have the 35 macro Ltd. I think the jury is still out about which one would be best, but after seeing some of the initial shots, I'd probably go for the new lens unless I specifically wanted the close focusing ability of the macro. Now if it were to come down to either the new 35 or the FA 31 Ltd, the 31 would win hands-down.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote