Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:26 AM   #1

Default Mystery Lens (until now)

Some years back when I was looking for a dedicated macro lens I acquired an M42 screwfit lens for peanuts that had obvious macro features ie. it will focus from a few inches to infinity, and its focus ring range takes nearly 2 revolutions of the barrel, it's barrel is calibrated with a macro scale down to 1:1 at full extension + it has a very deep set objective lens, and the oddball thing is that it appears to have no aperture ring, it also has a Auto/manual switch stuck at Auto. It's obviously a true macro lens, but of what pedigree ???.
BTW It does work fine used wide open, but for macro work the DOF is paint coat thin, this limits it's use severely, images of flat items like stamps etc. reproduce very sharply, and shots of a milimetre ruler scale confirm it's 1:1 capability
It's branded "MACRO SPECTAR" ... MS - 55, so presumably a 55mm lens. Research via Google etc. using the brand name and type #, has revealed virtualy nothing of any consequence, so for a few years now it's remained an unsolved mystery.
That is until a week or so ago, I was browsing Ebay UK, and found a Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro lens, the similarity of the illustrated picture to my lens struck me immediately, and after close examination there are minor differences I'm convinced that mine is the Vivitar 55mm macro, but modified ... for what purpose I've no idea. I should add, that I've opened the mount end of the lens, and it's obvious that the M42 stopdown components have been removed, and the A/M switch is epoxied in the auto position, I'm not entirely sure ... the variable aperture mechanism could also be missing.
From what I read this Vivitar macro lens has an excellent reputation, and it's very possible that it was manufactured by Komine.
I've attached comparison pics below, my lens on the green background.
I'm awaiting delivery of an item something of a mystery in itself (at least to me) that may allow me to make better use of this lens. More of this later.
Comments anyone please ???. ... Jack
Attached Images

Last edited by jachol; Nov 1, 2010 at 7:32 AM. Reason: typo
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2010, 8:46 AM   #2

looks like it could be a panagar also. i have one that's been broke forever.. got it off ebay and the focus is broke..
need parts
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:46 AM   #3

Hi Jack,

Just some wild speculation. . . maybe it was used as a dedicated copy lens. 50mm would give a pretty flat field, and is more suited to copy work than a longer macro.

Komine is a distinct possibility as it has the checkered focusing rubber that I looked for trying to find a sleeper "legendary" Komine/Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 that I used to Jones for before I discovered the Tamron 80-200 f2.8 Adaptall 2 and the Pentax A 70-210 f4. . . but I know little about this kind of thing -- maybe Bigdawg will chime in here. . .

Anyway, DOF would become less important when copying documents on a dedicated copy stand that's set up for it, and wide open shooting would allow for a more casual approach to the mechanics of things with faster shutter speeds. The camera body could be set to a constant shutter speed by a similar crippling of the dial, the lens setting could not accidentally be changed from wide open, and consistent artificial light would give an "idiot proof" setup. Focusing would be done by a macro rail type system.

Just speculating. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:40 AM   #4

Hi Roy, I have discussed this lens with you via email around the time I got it, and neither of us had a clue what it was then. Now I know of the possible Vivitar connection it would not surprise me at all if rebadged versions exist, as you say Panagor or maybe Phoenix, Bauer, and Soligor, others too I'd imagine.

Hi Scott, your speculation to my mind has possibility, and I appreciate your thoughts, in that sort of application it would work very nicely. I do recall at the time that searches for "Macro Spectar" brought up a couple of links that suggested scientific use though I never made any real sense of it. I can't seem to find those links now.
The item I'm waiting delivery of is described by the Ebay seller as a "Vivitar automatic Teleconverter f1.4 - 22 lens", and from it's picture it does appear to have aperture ring,and also appears to be screwfit (M42 I'm hoping). The seller is very obviously a non photographer, and has just posted info he's read from from the item itself, so I haven't asked any questions, I doubt I'd get any useful info.

A TC with an aperture ring is an item I've not seen before, and I'm curious as to it's intended use, obviously my idea is to use it behind the lens above to give me some control of aperture, it will give additional magnification I don't know how much, it remains to be seen if any glass in the TC affects the IQ to any degree, I may have to investigate it's removal in that case, and just let it act as an extension tube + aperture.
I got the TC for a nominal amount, so it won't break the bank if the idea goes pearshaped. LOL ... Jack.
Attached Images

Last edited by jachol; Nov 2, 2010 at 6:09 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:23 AM   #5

Like the other poster it looks to me like the Vivitar . I recall seeing something like in the adverts back to the 70's, maybe 80's in magazines like Pop Photo and Modern Photo.

Also again like a previous poster I'm thinking someone like Big Dawg who has and is very familiar with the wide variety of Pentax mount lenses out there, probably could ID the lens.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Like the other poster it looks to me like the Vivitar . I recall seeing something like in the adverts back to the 70's, maybe 80's in magazines like Pop Photo and Modern Photo.

Also again like a previous poster I'm thinking someone like Big Dawg who has and is very familiar with the wide variety of Pentax mount lenses out there, probably could ID the lens.
Thanks for the input, I'm convinced that it is a modified Vivitar, it's much easier to compare when you have the item in your hand, and can turn it around to check similar features. It appears that my lens has an added rim that carries the "Macro Spectar" brand that should unscrew from the filter thread, but so far it's resisted all attempts to remove it.
I'm still waiting delivery of the TC, could be a day or two yet. ... Jack
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Thanks for the input, I'm convinced that it is a modified Vivitar, it's much easier to compare when you have the item in your hand, and can turn it around to check similar features. It appears that my lens has an added rim that carries the "Macro Spectar" brand that should unscrew from the filter thread, but so far it's resisted all attempts to remove it.
I'm still waiting delivery of the TC, could be a day or two yet. ... Jack
That Macro Spectar nomenclature, that is at the front of the lens, reminds me of a macro lens I have for my medium format Yashica Mat 124 G TLR.

The Yashica has a fixed (to the body) 80 mm (normal) lens. I bought a Yashica set of 'lenses' for it....one was wideangle, one was telephoto, one was macro...if my aging memory is correct.

They weren't really lens...more like magnifying or wide angle filter additions.

I think that's possibly what Macro Spectar is...could be something like that....but maybe not...just a guess on my part and hard to say from pictures, without really seeing it. .

I could be and probably am wrong....maybe the whole thing, is a Macro Spectar lens and the top doesn't unscrew....you may damage it, if you try to remove it.

I wouldn't try to force it, you may ruin the lens. Might be an idea for a camera tech to check it out.

Last edited by lesmore49; Nov 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:49 PM   #8

Looks like a Komine Vivitar to me. Same style and look about it. Very nice one too. I need to keep an eye out for one as the Vivitar has gotten quite pricey of late and I'd like one. Congrats on a good purchase.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
That Macro Spectar nomenclature, that is at the front of the lens, reminds me of a macro lens I have for my medium format Yashica Mat 124 G TLR.

The Yashica has a fixed (to the body) 80 mm (normal) lens. I bought a Yashica set of 'lenses' for it....one was wideangle, one was telephoto, one was macro...if my aging memory is correct.

They weren't really lens...more like magnifying or wide angle filter additions.

I think that's possibly what Macro Spectar is...could be something like that....but maybe not...just a guess on my part and hard to say from pictures, without really seeing it. .

I could be and probably am wrong....maybe the whole thing, is a Macro Spectar lens and the top doesn't unscrew....you may damage it, if you try to remove it.

I wouldn't try to force it, you may ruin the lens. Might be an idea for a camera tech to check it out.
I may have misled you here (apologies if I have) ... there's no glass in the rim I referred to is just a metal ring that has "Macro Spectar" marked on it + the Type "MS-55",it's not a filter of any kind. It looks as if it's screwed into the filter thread of a Viv 55 macro lens, it may be cemented in, and being chamferred it's difficult to grip, and has defied all attempts to remove it.

It will not affect the function of the lens at all if left in situ, I just thought that there could be the vivitar lens info underneath it ... Jack
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Looks like a Komine Vivitar to me. Same style and look about it. Very nice one too. I need to keep an eye out for one as the Vivitar has gotten quite pricey of late and I'd like one. Congrats on a good purchase.
Hi Ed,
Yes it does have all the hallmarks of the K/V range, I'm convinced myself, only things I'm not too sure what internal components have been removed in the modification process, I must dismantle further again, and look for an aperture mechanism ... its' a while since I first looked.
It can be a pricey item, the one that revived my interest in this lens went for 60 + GBP + shipping
There's a Canon fit one Buy it now asking price is 149.99 + shipping on Ebay UK now ... Over the top I'd think ... Jack

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/55mm-f2-8-Vivi...item255e551fea