Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1

Default Pentax 80-200 lens

Hi: I have a Pentax DL digital camera. I wish to use my old FA80-200 mm F4.7-5.6 lens on this camera. It installs well with the bannet base. But will not shoot. The book says it is compatiable. The 80-200 lens doesnt have the "A" setting on the aperture ring. But it says you can bypass this to make it shoot. WHAT setting do I use??? Sieg
siegls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:11 PM   #2

hmmm without getting my camera out i cant tell you exactly what its called but it should be in the custom functions section of the menu - if you have your cameras manual it will tell you exactly what our after
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:15 PM   #3

I'm confused. You say that it's an FA (which means auto focus/auto exposure) lens and yet it doesn't have an A setting on the aperture ring? I suspect that if it doesn't have an A setting, it's not an FA lens, it's probably a K or M lens. It will work with your camera - But first, make sure you've gone into the menu and changed the setting to allow the use of aperture rings (I don't have a DL and don't remember what exactly it's called on the DS/DL cameras). Default is no.

Then set the aperture on the lens, put the camera on "M" mode. Focus, then push the AE-L button, which will temporarily stop down the lens and let the camera meter, setting the shutter speed. Then shoot. Pushing the AE-L button to meter becomes second nature very quickly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:39 PM   #4

Hi siegls,

Welcome to the forum!

IIRC Pentax only made an 80-200 f4.7-5.6 in the A, F, and FA variants, and all should have an "A" setting on the aperture ring. There's a little button on the ring that allows you to move it in and out of the "A" position.

If the shutter refuses to fire, it's probably because it's set to AF (Auto Focus) mode, and this requires a focus confirmation before it will allow the shutter to fire. If you switch to M (Manual Focus) mode, it will allow the shutter to fire regardless of focus cofirmation.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:26 AM   #5

i had this lens and used it just fine on k20, should work.

it is a good lens, produces great coloring. I found mine soft at 200 but sharp up to about 150
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi siegls,

Welcome to the forum!

IIRC Pentax only made an 80-200 f4.7-5.6 in the A, F, and FA variants, and all should have an "A" setting on the aperture ring. There's a little button on the ring that allows you to move it in and out of the "A" position.

If the shutter refuses to fire, it's probably because it's set to AF (Auto Focus) mode, and this requires a focus confirmation before it will allow the shutter to fire. If you switch to M (Manual Focus) mode, it will allow the shutter to fire regardless of focus cofirmation.

Scott
Thanks it works now,Sieg
siegls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:37 PM   #7

it does work in AF tho right? It should, I had the FA 80-200 and it auto focused and auto exposed perfectly
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 5:44 PM   #8

My F70-210 auto focuses and auto exposures just fine on my K2000.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote