Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:14 PM   #11

airshow shots were on a tripod - the animals were handheld
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:47 PM   #12

I have the Bigma and use it about 80% of the time hand held. I love it. The 18-55 DA plus the Bigma makes up my must take combination. I've used it for sports, wildlife, portraits and landscapes. No real good macros with it but in a pinch it can do closeups from 9 feet away! LOL My opinion and advice is to get one as soon as you can. It has taken me nearly 2 years to learn the Bigma but I've had a blast doing it! You'll have just as much fun with the 150-500! Trust me on this.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
That's pretty interesting. $100 cheaper and half a pound lighter than the 150-500mm. A full stop faster at the long end and a tad faster at the wider end as well.

And then there's either a Sigma or Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8. $100 and $170 cheaper than the 120-400 and $200 and $270 cheaper than the 150-500. 1.2 and 1.7 pounds lighter than the Lil' Bigma as well. I wonder how'd they'd do with a 2x converter on them at the long end?
120-400mm will give way better results then a 70-200mm with x2 TC , not forgetting that it will then be manual focus.
A 1.4 TC should be ok but then the reach is just 280mm
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:46 AM   #14

Hope I'm not too far OT but any thoughts on the Tamron 200-500mm (other than
the obvious lack of stablization of course) compared to the Sigma's regarding sharpness,
IQ, distortion and CA...?

Here's the only proper review I've ever found for this lens...

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/29...report--review
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
Hope I'm not too far OT but any thoughts on the Tamron 200-500mm (other than
the obvious lack of stablization of course) compared to the Sigma's regarding sharpness,
IQ, distortion and CA...?

Here's the only proper review I've ever found for this lens...

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/29...report--review
HI Wizzard,

The problem with this lens is that it was never offered in K mount AFAIK. It is, from accounts from owners of other mounts, a desirable lens from a cost and especially a weight standpoint.

Just to add my own 2 to this discussion, if I want to shoot at @ 500mm, I use either the FA*300/4.5 + P F !.7x Auto Focusing Adapter or one of my 300/2.8s and the AFA.

With the FA*300/4.5, the AFA makes it a 2+ lb 510mm f7.7, which sounds slow, but it's only 1/2 stop slower than the Bigma or it's sisters. The weight savings and handling advantages with potentially faster focusing speed and the built in focusing limiter have allowed me to easily pass on a Sigma xxx-500 zoom. I could also use this lens with a 1.4x TC to get a 400/6.3, but the lack of a focus limiter makes the AF performance more frustrating.

With any of the 300/2.8s, the AFA gives me a 5-6 lb 510mm f4.8 which is only marginally slower than the Sigma EX 500/4.5 (@7 lbs). This combo has the advantages of a more compact and lighter lens with a closer Minimum Focusing Distance at a lower cost. I also get the versatility of having a 300/2.8, 400/4, 510/4.8, and a 714/6.7 at just about a lb more total carrying weight than the Bigma, and about a lb less than the 500/4.5. This combo also has the advantage of being internal focusing, so there is never a weight shift as there is when zooming any of the Sigma zooms, so this is a preferable setup for using on a gimbal.

I shoot long more often than not, and I really have no need to go longer than 714mm for what I like to do. I recently passed on a rare Sigma 500/4.5 Manual Focus lens that would have made a nifty 7 lb 850mm/6.7 AF with the AFA, but decided that I wouldn't have gained that much extra reach for another $1K, and the Sigma had a MFD of 13 ft (compared to the 300/2.8s at 8 ft), so I'd only gain a magnification advantage past that point.

For me, the advantage of the limited focusing range of the AFA for a long tele cannot be overstated. I have focus limiters on my FA*300/2.8 and Sigma EX 180/3.5 Macro, and I'd rather use the AFA as my focus limiter any time. I actually prefer using the AFA for Auto Focus over any regular AF lens for perching birds. For BIF, I think the best possible lens would be a standard AF 300mm lens with Quick Shift focusing.

. . . just some additional thoughts to add to the discussion. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
HI Wizzard,

The problem with this lens is that it was never offered in K mount AFAIK. It is, from accounts from owners of other mounts, a desirable lens from a cost and especially a weight standpoint.
Ooops, forgot I was in the Pentax section...

I was considering it for Nikon F mount...

But thanks for responding, Scott...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote