Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:10 AM   #1

Default LBA: Sizing up the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 WR macro

I've begun the process of changing out my Pentax kit to include more weather-sealed lenses. First up was replacing my trusty Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro with the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 WR macro. The first thing that struck me was the difference in size.

Upon first seeing the lens in store, I was quite amazed at how tiny this lens appeared. I was expecting the Pentax 100mm macro to be larger than the Tamron because of the WR and the additional 10mm in focal length. Much to my surprise, it was actually shorter AND thinner than the Tamron lens! To put things further into perspective, when placed next to this Pentax macro, my Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro appears absolutely Brobdingnagian!

See the difference in size for yourself:

Here's another shot of the lenses fully extended to 1:1 magnification. Note that the length of the Canon lens doesn't change, as it has an internal focusing mechanism.

I can't wait to start using this lens in the rain!

- Jason

Last edited by Illuminati; Dec 3, 2010 at 2:39 AM. Reason: Fixed images; curse you Flickr!
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:13 PM   #2

i am also in the market for a macro. I was looking at the Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro for Pentax. It's not WR, but i like the price... I also believe it is quite a bit larger than the pentax 100mm... most of sigma's comparable lens's are larger than there counterparts.
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Medium-T.../dp/B0002P19YE
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:24 PM   #3

damn its tiny - suppose the front element isn't as recessed as the tamrons - never could work out why it would need anything in front of the front lens element so kinda assume its a built in hood but does seem odd then that it comes with a hood aswell

take it the pentax comes with a hood?

ohh it occured to me that if i'm not mistaken the tamron and the canon will be full frame lenses and pentax is PROBABLY aps-c only that would let it get away with being a bit smaller
Pentax Photo Gallery

Last edited by John.Pattullo; Dec 3, 2010 at 2:26 PM.
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:13 PM   #4

The front element of the Pentax lens is recessed like the Tamron, just not as deep. The Pentax macro does come with a hood.

This Pentax macro is D FA. The 'F' means the optics can cover full-frame bodies.

- Jason
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminati View Post
The front element of the Pentax lens is recessed like the Tamron, just not as deep. The Pentax macro does come with a hood.

This Pentax macro is D FA. The 'F' means the optics can cover full-frame bodies.

- Jason
I didn't know that the F in the nomenclature, mean't that a Pentax lens can cover full frame bodies. As the Pentax 100 was relatively recently introduced (I think)....it makes me wonder if Pentax is considering a FF body....or just covering all it's future bases ?

I bought a Pentax 50 Macro F 2.8 about a year ago...has the same type of lens..where the 'inner' part of the lens comes out significantly...the hood is very unusual...deep, much better build (still plastic) then some of my other Pentax lenses...but not waterproof.

That 100 Macro has a lot of appeal...to me the smaller size and the WR are in keeping with Pentax design.

My K10D is weather sealed, however when I bought it (2007), don't think any Pentax lenses were WR...oh well better late than never.

What other WR Pentax lenses do you plan to get...WR 55-300 MM ....?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:07 PM   #6

I'm somewhat incorrect about the nomenclature. The D FA nomenclature means that the optics work on full-frame film bodies, but is optimized for DSLRs.

See here for an explanation of the different terms (cause I can't explain it well): http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/technology/lens_terms.html

In terms of my weather-sealed collection, I already have a DA* 16-50mm f/2.8. Next, I plan to replace my FA 50mm f/1.4 with a DA* 55mm f/1.4. I'm debating whether to get the DA* 60-250 f/4 or a DA* 200 mm f/2.8 in the future.

- Jason
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:33 PM   #7

I looked at the 100 macro WR when I was in San Diego for the Photo Expo a couple of weeks ago. I really liked it - someday I'll own it. I couldn't believe how light it was since my current macro lens is the Viv S1 105 (which is built like and weighs almost as much as a tank). I'm envious!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:48 AM   #8

ah forgot it was DFA lens - hmmm strange how they can make it so much smaller

anyway as for da lenses not being for full frame out of curiosity i threw my DA* 60-250mm on my old pentax mz-50 and while didn't take any photo's as far as i could tell from the viewfinder from the entire focal range there was no evidence of any vignetting let alone areas completely black around the edges like i get if i throw on an 18-50mm lens

jason if you want have a look at my flickr page - i got the 60-250mm - the shots from the salmon jumping onward are all with it - some of the birds in the tree are very heavily cropped though so focus wasn't brilliant but i personally love the lens - nice and sharp with nice bokeh - only minor gripes are thats its minimum focusing distance isn't that great so dont expect psudo macro shots from it and that you dont get maximum focal length at closer in focus range - believe this is standard in internal focusing zooms
Pentax Photo Gallery

Last edited by John.Pattullo; Dec 4, 2010 at 4:53 AM.
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote