Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
choosing your camera bag for a day out must be a nightmare =) lol but let us know how it turns out no reason mirrors shouldn't be sharp and surprised they dont make new ones with autofocus now would be a cheap way for pentax to introduce some really long focal lengths
Not a nightmare but a pleasure and a privilege. I've been blessed with good friends and a very understanding wife. I get the fun of being able to choose which group of lens to take now...Many years ago I had to make do with only two...Back then I felt rich as I had a K1000 with a 50 f/2 and a Sears 135mm lens.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Hi Ed,
My only experience with a cat lens is with the Makinon 500mm f8.0, which I acquired cheaply earlier this year. I haven't been able to use it much since then having been immobilised a lot by sciatica this year.
I do find the manual focus on my model very critical, it has to be set very precisely to get sharp pictures, I know my aging eyes factor into this problem, but I do feel that any softness in results could be down to the above, with the Makinon shots are very sharp, when you get it right. Just my thoughts. ... Jack
Thank you Jack. I've seen many photos taken with Cat lens that were sharp and contrasty....then you see the posts from some who can't seem to get a sharp photo with theirs. I've wondered if it was the lens or the photographer. I'll soon see I guess.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Minolta made an Autofocus Mirror, and Sony kept it in the product line. Here it is at sonystyle.com

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11039029

AFAIK, it's the only Autofocus Reflex lens ever made (only the branding changed after Sony bought Minolta).

Here's an article about it:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re.../sony500.shtml

P.S.

NHL has one that he uses with a Sony A900. See this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...pt-secret.html
Some sharp photos with that lens.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:52 PM   #14

Hi Dawg,

When I was in college, there was a camera store around the corner from my mom's place, and I remember walking by and leaving a drool trail from the Vivitar S1 Solid Cat they had displayed in the window. . . Never got one though, but obviously the long tele bug has been persistent. . .

I have the Tamron SP 500/8, and that has satisfied my Cat requirements. . . don't use it much, but I do grab it once in a while when I want to have something long in a relatively lightweight kit. It's just out of working range with the F 1.7x AFA and the K-7, but the extra sensitivity of the SAFOX IX AF sensor might just give me a really lightweight AF 850/13.6 Cat in good light. . .Keeping my fingers crossed.

BTW, penolta has one of those Minolta AF Cats IIRC. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Dawg,

When I was in college, there was a camera store around the corner from my mom's place, and I remember walking by and leaving a drool trail from the Vivitar S1 Solid Cat they had displayed in the window. . . Never got one though, but obviously the long tele bug has been persistent. . .

I have the Tamron SP 500/8, and that has satisfied my Cat requirements. . . don't use it much, but I do grab it once in a while when I want to have something long in a relatively lightweight kit. It's just out of working range with the F 1.7x AFA and the K-7, but the extra sensitivity of the SAFOX IX AF sensor might just give me a really lightweight AF 850/13.6 Cat in good light. . .Keeping my fingers crossed.

BTW, penolta has one of those Minolta AF Cats IIRC. . .

Scott
Scott...I left a similar drool trail from the drugstore home after looking at the photo mags back then...I couldn't afford the magazine so the lens was way out of the question. Now i get to indulge myself for a change.