Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:56 PM   #1

Default Why should I or should I not get a Vivitar 600mm Cat Lens?

I'm looking at one right now and the Wife has okay'd me to buy it for Christmas. So why should I and why should I not get one? I am a collector and these I've not yet collected. They are increasing in cost every day. I have used a Sigma 500mm f/8 mirror lens so I know how they shoot and it is a bit more compact than my Bigma so it will get used. I know the cost is between 400 and 500 dollars and that right now is not a problem....Yes I know I can get a new "Vivitar " 600mm mirror lens for around half that price but it is not one of the Perkin Elmer Solid Catadioptric lens. I have always wanted one and several folks have asked why I don't have one in my collection...Well..here is my chance. Why....or....Why Not?

And yes..it has four of the filters and the lens shade with it.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:09 PM   #2

[QUOTE=bigdawg;1175680] ... and the Wife has okay'd me ... I am a collector and these I've not yet collected. They are increasing in cost every day. ... so it will get used. I know the cost ... right now is not a problem. ... I have always wanted one and several folks have asked why I don't have one in my collection...Well..here is my chance. Why....or....Why Not?
QUOTE]

Do you really need someone else to do the persuasion when you prepared it so well?? Go, Bigdawg, go!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:37 PM   #3
Administrator

Ummm...

Because there are not enough hours in the day to get much use out of the lenses you already have in your collection? ;-)

That is, unless you start buying more bodies so you can use more of them at the same time. Of course, hauling them around would be another issue.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:55 PM   #4

[QUOTE=bilybianca;1175687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
... and the Wife has okay'd me ... I am a collector and these I've not yet collected. They are increasing in cost every day. ... so it will get used. I know the cost ... right now is not a problem. ... I have always wanted one and several folks have asked why I don't have one in my collection...Well..here is my chance. Why....or....Why Not?
QUOTE]

Do you really need someone else to do the persuasion when you prepared it so well?? Go, Bigdawg, go!

Kjell
Gone Kjell...Already gone.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Ummm...

Because there are not enough hours in the day to get much use out of the lenses you already have in your collection? ;-)

That is, unless you start buying more bodies so you can use more of them at the same time. Of course, hauling them around would be another issue.
Ahh...but there are already enough hours in the year...just barely but enough! More cameras are in my future but then again I am a BIG dawg!! LOL
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:33 PM   #6

i have a 600mm f8 sigma mirror lens - dont know how they all compare but i find it soft and with no autofocus so i kinda retired it the second i got my hands on the 150-500mm - really should put it on ebay sometime along with other lenses i dont use much anymore

so personally i wouldn't bother specially as i know you have the bigma but as a collection piece might make a nice addition
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
i have a 600mm f8 sigma mirror lens - dont know how they all compare but i find it soft and with no autofocus so i kinda retired it the second i got my hands on the 150-500mm - really should put it on ebay sometime along with other lenses i dont use much anymore

so personally i wouldn't bother specially as i know you have the bigma but as a collection piece might make a nice addition
Thanks John. It is an addition to the collection but I do use all the lens in that collection so this will not sit on a shelf, but rather it will get a lot of use. We'll see.....

I went ahead and got this one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:38 AM   #8

choosing your camera bag for a day out must be a nightmare =) lol but let us know how it turns out no reason mirrors shouldn't be sharp and surprised they dont make new ones with autofocus now would be a cheap way for pentax to introduce some really long focal lengths
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:13 AM   #9

Hi Ed,
My only experience with a cat lens is with the Makinon 500mm f8.0, which I acquired cheaply earlier this year. I haven't been able to use it much since then having been immobilised a lot by sciatica this year.
I do find the manual focus on my model very critical, it has to be set very precisely to get sharp pictures, I know my aging eyes factor into this problem, but I do feel that any softness in results could be down to the above, with the Makinon shots are very sharp, when you get it right. Just my thoughts. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 6:29 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
...and surprised they dont make new ones with autofocus now...
Minolta made an Autofocus Mirror, and Sony kept it in the product line. Here it is at sonystyle.com

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11039029

AFAIK, it's the only Autofocus Reflex lens ever made (only the branding changed after Sony bought Minolta).

Here's an article about it:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re.../sony500.shtml

P.S.

NHL has one that he uses with a Sony A900. See this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...pt-secret.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote