Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 11, 2010, 1:26 PM   #1

Default replacing the 18-55mm kitlens

Hi!
I am thinking of replacing my 18-55 kitlens (the one that came with the KX) and getting a more multipurpose lens, either Sigma AF 18-200/3,5-6,3 DC or Tamron AF 18-200/3,5-6,3 XR Di II are these lenses that is about equal in quality/sharpness and so on to the kitlens?

The reason for switching is that I love my 55-300 and I have just bought a lowlight lens (50mm, f/2) that I intend for indoor use mostly, so the 18-55 i rarely used, mostly because it's limited use (for my needs)
and 18-200 would serve more as a travel lens.

what do you think?
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:46 PM   #2

One aspect that you need to keep in mind is that the wider the zoom range the more difficult it is to design and construct the lens - thus the "all in one" lenses then to be a compromise. The somewhat rule of thumb is a range of 4x, which is the ratio of the low to the high (e.g., the 18-55 lens is 55/18 = 3.05x). The 18-200 is 11.1x.

The ratio becomes more difficult at the lower end, with respect to the wide angle lenses which tend to have a zoom range of about 2x (12-24 etc.). In that you are looking for a lens that starts fairly wide, that is going to limit your upper range to a degree, especially if you want a lens that is sharper and has a better image quality than the kit.

You really do not indicate what your primary purpose is, other than low light (which is quite understandable up in your latitudes).

Pentax has the 17-70, and the new 18-135 (I think that is the range). They also have the 16-45 which has a narrower range but a constant aperture. Size might also be a factor, the wider zoom ranges (especially when coupled with wider apertures) the size of the lens tends to grow larger to accommodate the optics.

Tamron and Sigma also make excellent lenses, but it would help to indicate budget and your intended use. It looks like your are looking at "all in one" lenses - which is fine - but optically really not better than what the kit offers. Are you looking to reduce the number of lenses you usually use to 1? or looking for a low light level lens with a wider focal range, or looking to increase your image quality, or ...... ?

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:32 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I used a Pentax DA 18-250 as a multi purpose lens and was very satisfied with the results. While it is not in production anymore, I am told that the Tamron version is essentially the same optics. I found the image quality to be on par with the DA 18-55 kit lens with the usual limitations of a quality degradation at the exteme end of the zoom and apertures. At f/8 it was great!

I presently use a Tamron 18-270 (on a non Pentax DSLR) and am very pleased with the results. Both Tamron and Sigma produce good lenses at prices that are less than the name brands.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:11 PM   #4

i just recently bought the sigma 18-250 and i am very happy with it. I bought it to use as a multipurpose lens when on vacations and get togethers (photos that i am looking for as just point and shoot quality. ie. large DOF). I recommend the sigma.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:37 AM   #5

thanks for your opinions, and as jelpee says, this will be a multifunktion lens, so the quality is what it is ofcourse, and yes, my main fotography is at the long tele (animals, birds so on) that is why my 55.-300 gets alot of love...but I also use the the short one indoors and only indoors, with longer zoom I could use it indoors and still be able to zoom in on details or use it outdoors and get a lot of pictures before needing to change..
and then I could start getting lenses for specific purposes, like my 50mm f/2 for low light, a 500mm for tele. and soo on

thanks for your replys ! very much appreciated
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote