Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:30 PM   #1

Default Vivitar Series 1 600mm Solid Catadioptric f/8 Lens..the lens

The lens and a comparison in size between the Sigma 50-500 and the Vivitar 600mm long focus lens....anyway here it and they are.

Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:49 PM   #2

That Vivitar looks like new!!! The size looks very manageable. Have you had chance to put it through some tests? I always enjoy your lens posts. I don't post much, but I read them all.

Stevie
StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:01 PM   #3

I've always been told that reflex lenses "don't suit digital". So I've never bothered to see if I can adapt my FD Sigma 500 lens to EF. How well does this one perform?
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:59 AM   #4

Here are some hand held shots on a dark and gloomy day. Not really the best conditions for a f/8 lens but with digital you can up the ISO to get the shutter speed up so that is a plus. This lens has a very small DOF so I've got to get better focus from now on. This will improve with practice. Do I like it? Heck yes...compact and very little CA and no PF at all.
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:30 AM   #5

Those results look good! Only the first shot really shows any of the donut highlights mirrors are know for. Might have to think about adding a mirror lens to my collection, would be a heck of a lot lighter than lugging around the 120-600 even if I do love that lens

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Those results look good! Only the first shot really shows any of the donut highlights mirrors are know for. Might have to think about adding a mirror lens to my collection, would be a heck of a lot lighter than lugging around the 120-600 even if I do love that lens

John
A plus for the Mirror lens is the lack of or at least the reduction of PF and CA. The doughnut Bokeh and spectral highlights can be bad to mild but there again it matters what background you have as well.