Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:14 PM   #1

Default Tamron 17-50

Hey Guys,

I currently own the Sigma 17-70 mm with my K7 but I was eying the Tamron 17-50 mm due to the constant f2.8. Any advise on this? I would like a dedicated f2.8 but I also want to know the feedback on focusing speed for the Tamron vs. my Sigma. I like the lens I have but is alittle slow on the focusing. Thanks for the info!

Andrew
maverick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:14 PM   #2

Kinda quiet in here.

Anyone have some feedback on the Tamron 17-50 mm f2.8? I want to compare it to the Sigma 17-70 mm that I currently own (focus speed, noise level, etc.).

Thanks!
Andrew
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:52 PM   #3

I'd love to help you, but I don't own either lens. It seems like both lenses have owners that love them. Having the constant f2.8 will mean a whole bunch for some people (that's what I would want), but not to others - do you miss having f2.8 at the long end? Or would you really miss going out to 70? If weather sealing wasn't as high on my priority list, I probably would have gotten the Tamron ages ago. As it is, I'm still on the fence as to what to buy.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:24 PM   #4

I have neither lens. I passed on a Sigma 17-70mm that I tried in a local shop a few years ago. I do have a Sigma 24-60mm f2.8 and a few Tamrons and don't see much of a difference in focus speed on my K20D. If your Sigma 17-70mm is the newer HSM version it might be faster than the Tamron. There are quite a few user reviews on the pentaxforums.com site for the Sigma and the Tamron. It's a good resource. Sample photos can be looked up by lens manufacturer on pbase.com.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:13 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Doing some more research on the suggested sites. Mtngal, I would like to have the constant f2.8 in certain situations b/c I feel like I miss some good shots when zooming in and out. I was shooting a wedding and things went so fast that adjustments were a pain.

Another lens that I was looking at was the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Alittle out of my price range though.

BTW, I know if I buy the lens new there is a 6 yr warranty for the 17-50. If I were to buy a used copy, any chance of having the warranty on it? Just curious. Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:01 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I'm not a Pentax man but rather shoot Canon. I have both the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 and Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (non VC). If you are looking at the VC as the non-VC is no longer available then I wouldn't go for it as it is a lot softer wide open.

The non-VC version is a good performer as long as you can micro adjust AF. I've had 2 copies and the first was quite a long way out, the 2nd was better but still needed adjustment to be usable. I'm going to get it sent for calibration with one of my bodies so that it is spot on as I can't use it on my wife's camera as that doesn't have AF adjust.

One of the major wins that the Tamron has over the Sigma (apart from constant aperture) is the lack of colour cast and this was a major reason for me adding it into the mix. I've used the Sigma as a backup lens quite a lot for weddings, as well as for my wife when 2nd shooting. This has meant that my colour correction in RAW was a lot harder and time consuming.

The Sigma is a little sharper wide open at all focal lengths but obviously it is only f2.8 at 17mm so the Tamron comes into its own if you do stop down. Even without stopping down it is a good performer, strong enough that I'm happy to have it as a wedding backup if I can't shoot with my 5DmkII and L glass. Sure the L glass is stronger but then again it is considerably more expensive.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote