Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:28 PM   #1

Default Lens & Camera Advice, What to Keep and What to Sell?

Hello Everyone -

I just splurged and bought way to much stuff off of eBay and I am looking for advice.

Currently I have the following -

Pentax Kx + 18-55mm DA AL + 55-300mm DA ED + Raynox 250

I just purchased the following in a bulk auction -

Pentax K10D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera
Sigma EF-530 DG Super Electronic Flash
Pentax SMC DA* Series 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL IF SDM
Pentax DA 12-24mm
Pentax 16-45mm
PENTAX DA 18-55mm
Pentax 70mm
Pentax 18-250mm
Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm
Pentax 100mm Macro
Sigma APO Teleconverter 1.4x EX DG
Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm

So, needless to say I went a little overboard, but I wanted a few of these items and was willing to purchase them regardless, and figured if I bought them all I could sell the excess to cover the costs.

First thing is first -

1.) Do I keep my Kx or Up/Down Grade to the K10d?

2.) I really wanted to get the 18-250 as my walk around lens, but can this lens replace with similar or better quality than my current 18-55mm DA AL and the newly acquired 18-55mm DA?

I have many more decisions to make, mostly on which lenses to keep and which to sell off, and I will post back and forth, but I am looking for any and all input in this matter.

LBA in full effect!

-mackloon

Last edited by mackloon; Jan 5, 2011 at 6:06 PM. Reason: Typos......
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:34 PM   #2

Wow..You just cured your LBA in one fell swoop. I think you will find out rather quickly what lenses you will want to keep. Just plug them DA* lenses into the front of that Kx. Make sure you keep the 12-24mm it's just fantastic. If the 70mm is a DA limited. You just can't let that go. You will really like the 100mm macro for more than just macro shots. You will need to keep the 55-300mm just in case you need something long. It never hurts to have a back up body. Now you have one. You needed a flash, that's what started the ball rolling, so you now you got one of them too.

Everything else wrap up and store away for when the LBA urge strikes again. It will save you money

I think you got yourself a fine rig or two. Now go out and have fun.

Stevie.
StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:44 PM   #3

Keep the k-x it is a better low light camera, and the sony sensor it uses it better then the k10's
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:05 PM   #4

I think I will keep the Kx and off the K10.

I was thinking of keeping the 12-24, 18-250 and the 55-300 and offing the rest ATM.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:07 PM   #5

What a great buy. I'd keep both bodies, love having two cameras (keep the 12-24 on one body and a long lens on the other - saves time and changing lenses), plus it gives you the weather sealing, which is very useful. If you really can't keep both bodies you are better off with the Kx.

As far as the lenses go - I'd keep the 12-24, 18-250, the flash (unless you already have one), the two DA* lenses unless they have SDM issues. I have the 50-135 and want a good copy of the 16-50. There's no way I'd give up the 50-135, it's a brilliant lens, and mine was one of the first sold in Southern California. Keep the 70 (assume it's the Limited), another fantastic lens and really small - great for walking around when you want to go light or if you want to be a bit stealthy.

Sell off the 16-45 (unless the 16-50 isn't a good copy, in which case, keep it), sell off the two kit lenses, the FA 50, and the APO TC. Sell the macro unless it's the WR version, in which case keep it - love the bokeh on it.

Tentatively keep the 55-300 until you decide whether you really need the difference between 250 and 300. You may decide the 18-250 is all you need (or maybe not).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:20 AM   #6

Looks like you got some excellent equipment!

You might want to keep both camera bodies - it's always nice to have a backup.

Have never used most of these lenses, but have heard great things about the 12-24, 16-50, 50-135, and 70 ltd. It's also always good to have a dedicated Macro lens - will do much better than your Raynox (although Raynox is one of the best add-on lenses)

I do have the 16-45 and have found it great for landscapes, but the 12-24 and 16-50 are supposed to be better. I also have the 18-250. It's a pretty good lens, considering how much range it covers, but not quite as sharp as some of the better ones... Have heard that the 55-300 is noticeably superior at the long end...

Which FA 50 lens is it? I've been looking at trying to purchase the FA 50 1.4 for portrait work - you might find it useful for low light situations. Or is is the 2.8 macro?

In any case, hope you enjoy your new collection - will look forward to seeing some great photographs from your "new toys!"
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:32 AM   #7

It is the FA 1.4 New in Box too.

Someone was offing their prized collection and probably went way overboard on their initial buy because the K10d only has 1800 shutter fires.

I am going to need to sell off some of the equipment to offset the cost. I think that the 12-24 is a definite keeper. I will probably sell off the Sigma TC and the Sigma flash and pick up the Metz 48 which I had my eyes on.

Anyone have experience with the Sigma APO 1.4x TC?

Needless to say I will get to try and test them all before I dump anything. I will probably give them all a month trial, with the exception of the NIB 1.4 50mm FA. I may dump that and look for a used one on the cheap.

Last edited by mackloon; Jan 7, 2011 at 5:35 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:18 PM   #8

I don't have a TC, but from what I read, the Sigma APO only works with certain Sigma lenses - if you look up on Sigma's website you'll see why (it's the way it's designed, you need a lens who's back element is recessed). Their APO designation denotes high quality, but the limitation with which lenses you could use with it seemed too much for me to be interested.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:02 PM   #9

I say get rid of all the Sigma equipment. Now, regarding the kit lenses... is the DA 18-55 that you just bought a Mark II model? If so, it might be a bit better built than the DA-L version you have with your K-x. A Mark I (pre K10D) is also well built but reportedly doesn't handle higher resolution (10mp and up) as well as the newer model.

Still, I personally would keep the DA 16-45 and get rid of both kit lenses. The 16-45 will be a great back up in case you ever have SDM problems with the DA* 16-50 (plus, it's a bit smaller and lighter for when that's a priority). Otherwise, I would seriously try very hard to keep all of the Pentax glass other than your kit lenses. I suspect you'll kick yourself - very hard - later if you let any of that glass go.

One more suggestion: If you sold both your K-x and the K10, could you swing a K-r or a leftover K-7? If not, I would probably keep both bodies. The K10D is weather-resistant and so are both DA* lenses.

Last edited by Biro; Jan 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:46 PM   #10

nice purchase!! what i would keep would be this

Pentax K10D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera
Sigma EF-530 DG Super Electronic Flash
Pentax SMC DA* Series 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL IF SDM
Pentax DA 12-24mm
Pentax 70mm
Pentax 18-250mm
Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm
Pentax 100mm Macro

between what you have already and that it gives you pretty much verything your ever likely to want save super telephoto

if your not interested in IR or weather resistant body then would sell on the k10d too
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote