Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:53 PM   #1

Default TC - how to use

I have a Takumar TC...think it's a 2X.

If my memory serves me well, I believe I bought it new, back in the '80's. Back then Pentax used to sell new Pentax lenses and new Takumar Lenses.

Our family were very young back then so I economized with camera equipment... my wife had a K1000 and I bought a Takumar 50mm Macro, 28 mm Wide Angle and the Takumar TC.

I did splurge on a 35-105 'A' Macro Zoom (Pentax)...still have, wonderful lens.

Anyways, I never used the Takumar TC....I think it was because the only bayonet mount telephoto lens was my 35-105 Pentax and I assumed (maybe wrong) that the TC would degrade the wonderful images the 35-105 provided.

Now I have a K10D and a KM and a 55-300 (metal mount) and I'm thinking of trying the Tak 2X TC on the K10 or Km body, with the 55-300 zoom.

How to use ?

I don't have the directions anymore so I think I remove the lens, line up the red dot , fasten the TC onto the camera lens mount and then do the same with my 55-300 on the other end of the Tak TC ?

It should give the 35mm equivalent of 900mm !!!! I'm thinking my 55-300 at 300 is the 35mm equivalent of 450mm....then the TC 2 X, would be 450 X 2= 900mm.

Sounds like tripod territory, higher ISO, fast shutter speed to get a half decent picture.

Are zooms functional with TC's ?

Also, how should I set my cameras to use the old TC?

So, have I got this right ?

Picture quality:

I'm not expecting a lot, although I was more than satisfied with my Takumar 28mm and 50 Macro...I think the big diff between the Taks and the Pentax labeled lenses, was the Taks had no SMCP coating on the lens ?

But at 2 X and 900mm...seems a stretch to expect much in the way of sharp quality. I dunno.

Last edited by lesmore49; Jan 5, 2011 at 10:56 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I have a Takumar TC...think it's a 2X...

I did splurge on a 35-105 'A' Macro Zoom (Pentax)...still have, wonderful lens.
...I don't have the directions anymore so I think I remove the lens, line up the red dot , fasten the TC onto the camera lens mount and then do the same with my 55-300 on the other end of the Tak TC ?

Are zooms functional with TC's ?
My short answer is an affirmative 'no'. With fast and quality long prime lenses (definitely not lenses you quoted), TC is viable for around 1.5x.
You are wasting time indeed on a 2 X TC.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchtong View Post
My short answer is an affirmative 'no'. With fast and quality long prime lenses (definitely not lenses you quoted), TC is viable for around 1.5x.
You are wasting time indeed on a 2 X TC.

Daniel
Daniel,

Thanks for your input. I think you are right. I'm not sure I will even hook it up.

Les
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:14 PM   #4

The T/C will reduce your minimum aperture setting by 2 stops, so at 300mm, if you have f/5.6, the light loss will take it to f/11. Usually, what you lose is the ability to autofocus, but if it was for a K1000, it probably would be manual focus anyway. Image quality will suffer some, with CA more likely, and less sharpness.
If you use it, the combination will be limited to good lighting (viewfinder brightness is not going to be good), and manual focus and, as you said, a tripod.
It could be worth trying, and what are you going to lose, but time?
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
The T/C will reduce your minimum aperture setting by 2 stops, so at 300mm, if you have f/5.6, the light loss will take it to f/11. Usually, what you lose is the ability to autofocus, but if it was for a K1000, it probably would be manual focus anyway. Image quality will suffer some, with CA more likely, and less sharpness.
If you use it, the combination will be limited to good lighting (viewfinder brightness is not going to be good), and manual focus and, as you said, a tripod.
It could be worth trying, and what are you going to lose, but time?
brian
As you say, what can I lose, but I need not to have high expectations,
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:17 PM   #6

as dan said.. 2xTCs do not work very well on zoom lenses.. i've got a smc 1.4A and it doesn't work that well with zooms. also a tamron 2x MC4..
i have a A70-210 that i will not use a TC on.. IQ is horrible..
BUT i have an adaptal 300/2.8 that i use their 2x on and it's great.
all i can say is try it and decide if you like it..
as far as the A35-105/3.5 goes--What a great lens!!!
the A70-210/4 is just as sharp but people should give it more credit than it gets..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote