Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 16, 2011, 7:14 PM   #1

Default Adapter for Minolta-to-Pentax lens worth getting?

Hi all,

I'm awaiting the k100d super camera that I just purchased, and am quite eager to get started with it! I got it with the kit lens, but will need eventually to add lenses, I'm sure. I have a Sears lens, model 202 (28 - 85 mm) that I bought years ago because I got a good deal on it (LOL!). Never got around to trying it out. So I was never quite sure just what camera it would fit. I got it out today, and it appears to be a Minolta-compatible model with the MC/MD mount.

I "think" I can buy an adapter for it to fit my Pentax. Is that correct? I read somewhere (don't recall where) that it's a waste of time and money to do this. Is that also correct? This looks like a nice lens, and I've heard good things about the Sears lenses, although I know that some people don't care for them.

Does anyone know if this can be adapted, or has anyone had experience doing so? Thanks!

Last edited by amc654; Jan 17, 2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: to correct information
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:16 AM   #2

Hi amc654,

I wouldn't pursue this one, for the reason that the Minolta mount has a registration distance (i.e. from flange plate to film/sensor) of 43.5mm, whereas Pentax is 45.46mm. This means that it will be impossible to achieve anywhere near infinity focus unless the adapter contains glass elements - and because of this, image degradation would be inevitable.

Since it's a third-party lens, it will probably have been designed to be available in Pentax (and, for that matter, the even more extreme, Nikon) fit, so it might be possible to adapt the lens itself to PK fit (perhaps using a cheap flanged M42/PK adapter). I know I bought a very nice cheap Vivitar 28mm Close Focus lens, in Canon FD fit, with just this in mind - but, of course, I've never got round to converting it!

I get the impression you're quite open to the idea of vintage manual-focus lenses, and would definitely encourage you in this - you can get some very high quality lenses for very little outlay. But do confine your purchases to PK-fit and M42 screw-fit lenses (for which you'll need an adapter - preferably a genuine Pentax one!).

Don't forget, though, the kit 18-55 lens is quite a decent lens, and the convenience of AF is undeniable.

Good luck with your new camera!
pentode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:00 AM   #3

Thank you, pentode. Yes, I figured that it wouldn't really be worth it to try this route. I'm sure the kit lens will be more than sufficient right now--all the reviews give it high marks.

I'm not at all averse to using an old manual-focus lens for some things--especially for playing around for recreational photography! And there are so enough dedicated Pentax-mount lenses out there, I can't see I'd have a big problem getting a few at some point (someone had a small lot of them up for sale on eBay at a good price--but I'm not getting any 'til I know what I need/want). For the business, though, I'll probably stick to auto focus till I know my way around the camera well....
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:35 PM   #4

Hi
you'll find this link useful, in shooting manual with any Pentax camera

Hope it helps you. ... Jack.

http://www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:59 PM   #5

Thank you, Jack! I didn't have a chance yet to read thoroughly, but in scanning it, it seems this will be VERY helpful! One of the reasons I ultimately decided on the Pentax camera is because of the backward compatibility with the old lenses.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc654 View Post
Thank you, Jack! I didn't have a chance yet to read thoroughly, but in scanning it, it seems this will be VERY helpful! One of the reasons I ultimately decided on the Pentax camera is because of the backward compatibility with the old lenses.
You're welcome, like you I chose Pentax for it's compatability with older lenses, when I acquired my K100D, I already had several M42 screwfit lenses from my film camera days, and with an appropriate adaptor all were usable. ... All my early photographic experience was with fully manual use, so that's no problem.
I tend to shoot in AV mode (aperture Priority) most of the time.
I've developed a liking for the older Tamron Adaptall & Adaptall 2 lenses, they work well with most makes of camera. ... with a PKA adaptor used on a Pentax you have auto exposure since the camera can read the lens parameters, though focus is still manual.
Here's a link to Tamron info, you may find it useful. ... Jack

http://www.adaptall-2.org/
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote