Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:08 PM   #1

Default I'm selling my Lens collection.

I have my eye on a 1987 VF700 Magna motorcycle like the one I owned for ten years in the mid 80's till the mid 90's. My photography has had to take a back seat to my work lately and I have no time to play with my lens. I hate to do it but there it is....Not going to sell all by any means. Just the large part of it...70 lens in all. Just thought I'd give you an idea of why I'm not around much any more and have posted so few lens purchases. They have come to a sudden halt. The bike at least can be ridden to work and back....the camera and lens just sit waiting....Oh well...Time to change at last.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:33 PM   #2

Dawg, I understand where you're at right now. Not only do my cameras and lenses not get enough use... I have a 2004 BMW R1150R sitting in my garage that only gets used briefly every few weeks or so. Why? Work. Virtually all employers want more these days - hours, effort, you name it.

When I bought the bike (not my first), my plan was to commute to work on it. And I did - for a few months. Then the company transferred a bunch of us from the office in the bucolic environs of Princeton, New Jersey, to the mean streets of New York City. Commuting on a bike is a non-starter. Not only are the work days long, but the commute adds 2-plus hours at each end. Weekends are largely spent preparing for the next week and family obligations.

The worst part is that I don't see myself finding any more time for the hobbies I love anytime soon. Oh sure, I'll use my stuff occasionally - but not the way I'd like. So I think my acquiring phase is suspended for a while - until retirement or until I can figure out a way to make some structural changes in my life without dropping to poverty-level wages. Like you say, sometimes it's just time to change.

Last edited by Biro; Feb 6, 2011 at 11:38 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:00 PM   #3

You, my friend understand exactly what I'm going through. 5 more years to retirement and then Maybe...Maybe I can do the things I love. 7 day work weeks and 10 and 12 hour work days do not give me time to enjoy things. Looks like the next 2 years are going to be that way too. The money is great but when can you enjoy it??? I HATE Pure de old HATE getting rid of my collection but the way I'm working right now leaves me no alternative.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:46 PM   #4

Hi Dawg,

Well at least you got to experience the joys of discovery and acquisition which is, IMO, one of the best things about collections. Also, any buyers can benefit from the encyclopedic historical knowledge you've gained while researching the lenses you've obtained. You'll be able to give much more info than most can get from a seller -- they should consider themselves lucky.

There should be a lot of happy Pentaxians -- the availability of used K mount lenses on the market just doubled in one stroke. . .

Good luck on your sale -- this should be a good time for it as there seems to be a lot of recent new Pentaxians with the K-5, Kx and Kr.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Dawg,

Well at least you got to experience the joys of discovery and acquisition which is, IMO, one of the best things about collections. Also, any buyers can benefit from the encyclopedic historical knowledge you've gained while researching the lenses you've obtained. You'll be able to give much more info than most can get from a seller -- they should consider themselves lucky.

There should be a lot of happy Pentaxians -- the availability of used K mount lenses on the market just doubled in one stroke. . .

Good luck on your sale -- this should be a good time for it as there seems to be a lot of recent new Pentaxians with the K-5, Kx and Kr.

Scott
Thanks Scott. Don't know abiout the encyclopedia...Heck I sometimes cannot remember the wife's name, or what day it is or where I left my keys. LOL
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:24 PM   #6

Gotta break your heart to do it eh? I feel the same way about my old Mercedes which may go on the block here soon due to moving. Like parting with old friends. Any chance you could post a list of what you will be parting with? Since lenses don't take up as much space I may at least be able to add to that collection

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Gotta break your heart to do it eh? I feel the same way about my old Mercedes which may go on the block here soon due to moving. Like parting with old friends. Any chance you could post a list of what you will be parting with? Since lenses don't take up as much space I may at least be able to add to that collection

John
I don't know if the Moderators would approve of me listing them here as I may be blamed for soliciting buyers. If you wish and here you asked me not the other way around you can email me at [email protected] and I can then give you the URL of the list at the Pentax forum or at mflenses .com. Otherwise they might ban me. I would be devastated if that happened.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:37 PM   #8

Bigdawg, if only you were living in Europe.. than I would gladly help some of your beauties find a new daddy. Unfortunately I think shipping from the US to Europe would be rather expensive
I hope you will enjoy your new/old motorcycle
Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC de Jonge View Post
Bigdawg, if only you were living in Europe.. than I would gladly help some of your beauties find a new daddy. Unfortunately I think shipping from the US to Europe would be rather expensive
I hope you will enjoy your new/old motorcycle
It would cost $45.50 flat rate shipping to Europe. And that doesn't include the VAT or customs fees.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 5:57 PM   #10

I retired last year and it's about time i had time to myself. bigdawg, enjoy the ride.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote