Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:18 AM   #1

Default lenses for my k-x

i got the kit when i purchased my Pentax k-x in the fall ( 18-55 and 55-300). I would really love to get a lens that is in between what i have for a all around daily lens. what would you suggest and where can i get them.. it seems none of my local stores carry any....
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:10 AM   #2

Finding lenses in a store seems to be difficult.

As far as what you might need - have you looked at your pictures to see what focal lengths you use the most? Are you at the wider end or the longer end?

If you rarely go beyond 135mm, then look at the new DA 18-135, the samples I've seen from it are very nice. If you like things longer, then there's the Tamron/Pentax 18-250. It's a slow lens and has been discontinued, but you can find them for sale second hand. But it's about the best all-in-one lens that goes longer than 135. All others tend to have too much compromise.

It's difficult to design a lens that has both wide angle and telephoto - has to do with the physics of light (and don't ask me to explain - this is as far as my technical knowledge goes). You have to compromise somewhere and in the past, most all-in-one lenses were very soft at one end or the other.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:29 AM   #3

thanks. the 18-135 seems to be a good fit for me, i just checked it out online and wow a bit expensive.... so maybe i'll see if i can find any second hand... otherwise i will just have to keep saving
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:12 PM   #4

I got good results when I had the Pentax DA 18-250mm. I just sold it on ebay a few weeks ago for $385 because I don't shoot Pentax anymore. I don't think Pentax makes it anymore either, but you can find a good copy used. If i'm not mistaken, I also think Pentax makes a similar version, except with HSM, so it should be faster focusing. You can buy it new at Adorama or others, for $479. If I had that lens, I would probably sell the other two in your arsenal to pay for it and target a nice prime for your next lens purchase. I think it took better pictures than the 18-55 kit lens and was plenty long enough for me to replace a 300mm zoom. Plus it was just so much more convenient as an everyday lens. That may not work for you, but just an idea.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:20 PM   #5

also look at the sigma 18-125 HSM, it is a good option as well
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:23 PM   #6

Here are a few pics taken with the Pentax DA 18-250 from a homecoming parade. Pretty sharp for an all-in-one. Was a very convenient lens when I didn't want to lug around two lenses.
Attached Images

Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:32 PM   #7

thanks everyone, i'll keep looking online and see what i can find. I just always have been nervous buying stuff online, that's all... that's why i was hoping for a local store to have them.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
also look at the sigma 18-125 HSM, it is a good option as well
how come when i looked that one up it always shows for canon?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
thanks everyone, i'll keep looking online and see what i can find. I just always have been nervous buying stuff online, that's all... that's why i was hoping for a local store to have them.
I've purchased lenses from Adorama, B&H & Abes of Maine online and the prices were great and service outstanding. The all have very good return policies. I've also purchases 4 or 5 on ebay with excellent results as well. On ebay, the key is look at the persons feedback, seeing if they know camera equipment and I always try to avoid the ones from Hong Kong, etc. I would rather pay a little more and make sure I'm getting my lens from a domestic seller. My last lens was a Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM that I purchased from Adorama through ebay because the price was actually lower on ebay, plus I was able to use ebay bucks I had earned & saves another $24 on the cost of the lens. Great experience, great lens with no problems.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
how come when i looked that one up it always shows for canon?
Hi lin,

Try adding "pentax" to the search. You'll still get sites for the other mfg's versions, but this will bring sources for the Pentax version to the first page.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote