Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:40 PM   #11

I have the FA 50mm f1.4 and the F 50mm f1.4. I use them both quite a bit, even though there is absolutely no difference in IQ between the two. I also had the A 50mm f 1.4, and I could never tell pictures apart lenswise.
I think 50mm is my most used fl, maybe rivalled by 35mm. But I do change lenses frequently, being a prime lens snob who often shoots in poor light.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
I have the FA 50 f/1.4, and it certainly is a fine lens. I also am guilty of not using it enough. I have become so accustomed to using a zoom, I don't think about the 50mm prime lens very much -- and that's a mistake. I also had a film SLR and a 50mm prime lens for many years, and I was very happy. I simply composed photos with the field of view my one lens provided, and made it work. In some ways, zoom lensesd have made me a lazy photographer.
I understand what you are saying. Zooms in the digital age have definitely made me lazier. But my DA 35mm f/2.4 (along with the 20mm f/1.7 in my micro four-thirds kit) have been reintroducing me to the joys of shooting with primes.

The lightness of my K200D with a prime attached is delightful... even if I have to zoom with my feet (I can use the exercise). But one does have to decide one isn't going after some shots whe one doesn't have the right lens on board at any particular moment.

I've been thinking on and off about buying some DA Limiteds, starting with either the 21 or the 70. The only thing holding me up is my waiting to find out what kind of mirrorless camera Pentax will spring on us this year -and whether DA Limiteds will work on it.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:02 AM   #13

Funny. I just started thinking about the 50mm again over the weekend.

I was on www.dxomark.com looking at the lens ratings and noticed that the 50mm lenses seem to do really well compared to the small kit lenses.

Probably because they are prime, not zoom. But I also heard that manufacturers used to put extra care into their 50mm lenses, because many of the reviews about the cameras were based on these lenses. (Which in the day and age of autofocus, an f1.8 would probably do quite well at autofocusing.)

I guess back in the 35mm film days (or with a full frame sensor), the 50mm was suppose to give you the same field of view as with the naked eye. So it was considered "normal". I remember, when my Pentax Super Program or ME Super used to work, I would love walking around with the 50mm lens.

Now a days, with the sensor crop factor, as mentioned above, the 50mm doesn't act like a "normal" lens anymore. So it's use can be slightly different.

But then everyone seems to have brought out a 35mm lens, which I would assume acts more like a "normal" lens on an APS sized sensor. [Yeah. I've got my eye on one of those. <grin>]

Take care,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:58 AM   #14

I have 6 50mm lenses from 1.4 thru 2.0. All are very sharp and tend to get little use. Except that is the Pentax F 50mm f/1.7 and the Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm f/1.8. Both used heavily for portraits. The f/1.7 for action shots as it is auto focus and the Pancolar for still portraits as it is a M42 mount manual focus lens. Both have exceptional color rendition and can be quite sharp. Both go for $200 +.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
Funny. I just started thinking about the 50mm again over the weekend.

I was on www.dxomark.com looking at the lens ratings and noticed that the 50mm lenses seem to do really well compared to the small kit lenses.

Probably because they are prime, not zoom. But I also heard that manufacturers used to put extra care into their 50mm lenses, because many of the reviews about the cameras were based on these lenses. (Which in the day and age of autofocus, an f1.8 would probably do quite well at autofocusing.)

I guess back in the 35mm film days (or with a full frame sensor), the 50mm was suppose to give you the same field of view as with the naked eye. So it was considered "normal". I remember, when my Pentax Super Program or ME Super used to work, I would love walking around with the 50mm lens.

Now a days, with the sensor crop factor, as mentioned above, the 50mm doesn't act like a "normal" lens anymore. So it's use can be slightly different.

But then everyone seems to have brought out a 35mm lens, which I would assume acts more like a "normal" lens on an APS sized sensor. [Yeah. I've got my eye on one of those. <grin>]

Take care,
Glen
Think CZJ Flektogon 35mm f/2.4.