Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:05 PM   #1

Default Carl Zeiss Jena 20mm f/2.8 Flektogon

My first foray with this lens on my K7. All hand held. I've got a ways to go to master this one!
Attached Images

Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:54 AM   #2

the lens.
Attached Images

Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:50 PM   #3

Plenty sharp, no obvious distortions or vignetting (probably because it is full frame?). Other than being rather contrasty (which you should be able to handle in pp) I think you are already handling it well.

Nice to see you getting active again.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Plenty sharp, no obvious distortions or vignetting (probably because it is full frame?). Other than being rather contrasty (which you should be able to handle in pp) I think you are already handling it well.

Nice to see you getting active again.
Not full frame with the sensor at all. A full frame lens but it and it's 20mm f/4 brother are noted for lack of distortion. I am taking a week off from work. Finally!!! So I have a little time to shoot and post the results.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:49 PM   #5

It does look very nice! Sometimes that extra contrast is a good thing, though with some of these you were shooting in a situation where it worked against you. Some day I'd like to own a Zeiss lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:49 AM   #6

Hi Ed,

I like your results, all tack sharp, great contrast ... I don't see that as a problem. I've had similar results with the CZJ Flektogon 35/2.8 easily dealt with where necessary in PP. ... Jack

Last edited by jachol; Jun 29, 2011 at 3:51 AM.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
It does look very nice! Sometimes that extra contrast is a good thing, though with some of these you were shooting in a situation where it worked against you. Some day I'd like to own a Zeiss lens.
Thanks Harriet. With your collection of Pentax lenses you don't have to envy anyone. Zeiss is nice but all manual focus so they are not everyone's cup of tea.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Hi Ed,

I like your results, all tack sharp, great contrast ... I don't see that as a problem. I've had similar results with the CZJ Flektogon 35/2.8 easily dealt with where necessary in PP. ... Jack
This one can have too much contrast Jack. Much easier to deal with too much than not enough!! LOL
Old Jul 2, 2011, 3:06 PM   #9

Morning Dawg - still morning for a few more minutes,

I like your image's colors and contrast - it may be a bit underexposed, but I do like the richness of the colors - especially the greens and blues.

These are M42 lenses are they not? I picked up an 85 for some landscape closeups panoramas. Several weeks ago, I was able to pickup a wonderful SuperTak 85/f1.9 that does an excellent job. Then, while using it in the evening, I went to change lenses, and had to fish out the adapter in my K20 in the dark. So, the short story is - I think K mounts agree with me the best. I was thinking of a 70 ltd, but then I happened across an old Contax Carl Zeiss 85/f2.8 at a good price (old stock, new in box). So, I am again changing mounts on the lens as I did on the 28/2.8. I hope that this one turns out as well as the last. I am finding that between Pentax and old Zeiss glass - you really can not go wrong. They just sent the mount from Spain so it should arrive in a few weeks - nothing like building up anticipation....

Manual focusing is a challenge for me, however - since I am up on a tripod most of the time at infinity focusing (maybe backed off a tad in order to take advantage of hyperfocusing), it has been working out for me pretty well. Also, I have been taking advantage of wider depth of views by stopping down - gaining a bit of increased resolution as a byproduct. I have to take advantages of all that may be available...

I really do like your shots - I need to go out and shoot more. I hope you have a lot of fun with the two new lenses!! I am also taking this next week off - looking forward to 9 days off in a row. I want to go out an take some pictures - and may go up north to cool off - since its going to be 117 here in an hour or two.

Last edited by interested_observer; Jul 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Morning Dawg - still morning for a few more minutes,

I like your image's colors and contrast - it may be a bit underexposed, but I do like the richness of the colors - especially the greens and blues.

These are M42 lenses are they not? I picked up an 85 for some landscape closeups panoramas. Several weeks ago, I was able to pickup a wonderful SuperTak 85/f1.9 that does an excellent job. Then, while using it in the evening, I went to change lenses, and had to fish out the adapter in my K20 in the dark. So, the short story is - I think K mounts agree with me the best. I was thinking of a 70 ltd, but then I happened across an old Contax Carl Zeiss 85/f2.8 at a good price (old stock, new in box). So, I am again changing mounts on the lens as I did on the 28/2.8. I hope that this one turns out as well as the last. I am finding that between Pentax and old Zeiss glass - you really can not go wrong. They just sent the mount from Spain so it should arrive in a few weeks - nothing like building up anticipation....

Manual focusing is a challenge for me, however - since I am up on a tripod most of the time at infinity focusing (maybe backed off a tad in order to take advantage of hyperfocusing), it has been working out for me pretty well. Also, I have been taking advantage of wider depth of views by stopping down - gaining a bit of increased resolution as a byproduct. I have to take advantages of all that may be available...

I really do like your shots - I need to go out and shoot more. I hope you have a lot of fun with the two new lenses!! I am also taking this next week off - looking forward to 9 days off in a row. I want to go out an take some pictures - and may go up north to cool off - since its going to be 117 here in an hour or two.
Actually this one was modified by some one in Bulgaria to a P/K mount. Most of the folks on the Manual Focus Lens forum think this is anathema but I like it as mounting it on my K7 is a snap!! Have fun shooting on your days off.