Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:49 PM   #1

Default Adapters for Pentax lenses to non Pentax bodies

I'm curious about how lens adapters, such as Novaflex would work transferring my Pentax DA/FA lenses to non Pentax bodies?

I'm only familiar with the Novaflex name...are their other brand adapters ?

Would the AF and all the features of both the lenses and the non Pentax body still work ?

Has anybody had any experience with adapters ?

Any non Pentax bodies to recommend for use with Pentax lenses and an adapter ?

Thanks,

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2011, 8:17 AM   #2

Morning Les,

I am by no means an expert, however the main concern is the registration distance which will determine what lens mounts will fit on what bodies - regardless of the mechanical considerations.

The registration distance is the distance between the sensor and the mount plate, thus the lens' design and focus length is keyed to this distance. What will work is lenses designed for longer registration distances can be adapted to bodies with shorter registration distances. Hence Contax works on Pentax and Canon along with 4:3 but not Nikon.
Nikon has a relatively long registration distance, while Canon has a shorter one. Thus there are a lot of adapters for Canon and Pentax, and relatively few (if any other than 645) for Nikon. So Canon, Sony and the 4:3 bodies are the best candidates....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3

What about the flip flop, which other lenses are there adapters to allow use on a Pentax?
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:46 AM   #4

There are a ton of other lens makes that can be used on Pentax. Some of these lenses - especially the M42 mount can really be had for a song...
Here is a list of lenses and their rating by forum users. Some of these are dogs, some picked up for $5 and are pretty good. Others at $1500+ (the new Zeiss) are great but expensive, and then there are the older Contax Zeiss that after buying them and then picking up a mount and converting them can run upwards of $400, but perform at the same level (or slightly better) than the $1500 new ones....
So all it does is come down to the matter of looking. BigDawg has latched on to Zeiss Jena lenses (M42 mount and all manual), and has had wonder images to post....

Also, there are K mount options too...

Last edited by interested_observer; Jul 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:13 PM   #5

Thanks, Interested Observer for all the info . I hope that Pentax, make that Ricoh.... continues to develop and market Pentax and continues to use the K Mount.

One of the reasons for my question, is future considerations...in case the Pentax DSLR/ K mount is not available in the future.

So, my question is sort of a ...just in case...are there other bodies that will work with my Pentax lenses.

I have a collection of what I consider to be excellent, relatively new Pentax lenses . I'm also impressed with the reviews of the K5. I don't have one, but do have a K10D and a KM.

I hope there is a K6...or K4...who knows which way Pentax / Ricoh will go with Pentax' prior wandering nomenclature...ie: k10D, K20D...then K7...then K5 (?)....maybe they will jump to a K9.

To clarify, I do feel confident that Ricoh will take the Pentax DSLR brand and system to newer heights, than the past number of years.

Ricoh's statement at point of Pentax purchase seems to confirm that they want Pentax and it's interchangeable lens system...so that is very encouraging.

But I suppose time will tell.

BTW, I was looking at an old ('80's) Pentax LX booklet brochure and had forgotten how many system accessories and the range of top quality lenses available was something else....all the way to 2000mm.

Hopefully those days will be reintroduced by Ricoh.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofa View Post
What about the flip flop, which other lenses are there adapters to allow use on a Pentax?
I'm not familiar with the flip flop ?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:43 PM   #7

I use Carl Zeiss Jena Pentacon 6 mount medium format lenses on my P/K mount cameras and my 645 medium format camera. Hasselblad B mount lenses work as well and for the P/K cameras Praktica B lenses too. All give infinity focus but you do lose the camera connections for A and AF lenses. Same with any M42 lenses. All require adapters. The medium format 645 adapters are around $50.00.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
I use Carl Zeiss Jena Pentacon 6 mount medium format lenses on my P/K mount cameras and my 645 medium format camera. Hasselblad B mount lenses work as well and for the P/K cameras Praktica B lenses too. All give infinity focus but you do lose the camera connections for A and AF lenses. Same with any M42 lenses. All require adapters. The medium format 645 adapters are around $50.00.
Thanks Big Dawg. Do you have any source and address for adapters...I'm thinking of adapters that would mate a Pentax mount lens to a modern Canon EOS body ?

BTW, any more vintage motorcycle pictures...I loved the series you ran awhile back.

Living in Alabama as you know your in the same state as that wonderful, world class Barber motorcycle museum. I'm envious.

Les
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:02 PM   #9

I've been looking at these to get my macro lens onto my Nikon.

From what I've gathered so far . . .

1) If the flange distance of the camera is smaller than the Pentax platform, then you can get a cheaper adapter without glass and probably still get focus to infinity. [So something like a m43 camera would get a good candidate to accept manual lenses from a wide range of cameras (including Pentax) with inexpensive adapters.]

2) If the flange distance of the camera (such as my Nikon) is larger, then you'd have to get an adapter with glass to allow focus to infinity. Although you'd probably lose some IQ through that additional glass.

3) Either way, you're going to lose autofocus, autoexposure and some light.

4) If your lens doesn't have an aperture ring, then you probably won't be able to set the aperture.

!!! RE: Pentax lenses on Canon body !!!
-------------------------------------
5) And I've read somewhere that putting Pentax lenses on Canon cameras (via. an adapter), you have to be careful about the aperture pin scratching the mirror. On some of the adapters that I've seen, you'd have to remove or file down the aperture pin. (I wouldn't mind doing that to a cheap 50mm f2.0 I've got, but not my macro lens.) [One of the reasons I never got the adapter to try out my macro on my buddies Canon cameras.]

6) I don't think the K-mount is going to disappear. I remember reading about the Ricoh GR system about 1/2 a year ago and thinking . . . Ricoh looks like they really want to expand their camera division . . . they really need a lens mount . . . they should license the K-mount off of Pentax (Hoya) and get back into the SLR market. Then . . . Ricoh goes and buys Pentax and now they have the lens mount. I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden you saw Pentax and Ricoh bodies out there with the K-mount.

Just my 2 cents . . .
Glen

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Jul 24, 2011 at 6:05 PM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
I've been looking at these to get my macro lens onto my Nikon.

From what I've gathered so far . . .

1) If the flange distance of the camera is smaller than the Pentax platform, then you can get a cheaper adapter without glass and probably still get focus to infinity. [So something like a m43 camera would get a good candidate to accept manual lenses from a wide range of cameras (including Pentax) with inexpensive adapters.]

2) If the flange distance of the camera (such as my Nikon) is larger, then you'd have to get an adapter with glass to allow focus to infinity. Although you'd probably lose some IQ through that additional glass.

3) Either way, you're going to lose autofocus, autoexposure and some light. Losing autofocus is an issue. I'm finding my aging eyes are not as good as they once were using manual focus.

4) If your lens doesn't have an aperture ring, then you probably won't be able to set the aperture.

!!! RE: Pentax lenses on Canon body !!!
-------------------------------------
5) And I've read somewhere that putting Pentax lenses on Canon cameras (via. an adapter), you have to be careful about the aperture pin scratching the mirror. On some of the adapters that I've seen, you'd have to remove or file down the aperture pin. (I wouldn't mind doing that to a cheap 50mm f2.0 I've got, but not my macro lens.) [One of the reasons I never got the adapter to try out my macro on my buddies Canon cameras.]The more I read, the more adapters don't seem to be a future solution for me.

6) I don't think the K-mount is going to disappear. I remember reading about the Ricoh GR system about 1/2 a year ago and thinking . . . Ricoh looks like they really want to expand their camera division . . . they really need a lens mount . . . they should license the K-mount off of Pentax (Hoya) and get back into the SLR market. Then . . . Ricoh goes and buys Pentax and now they have the lens mount. I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden you saw Pentax and Ricoh bodies out there with the K-mount.

Just my 2 cents . . .
Glen
I hope you're right Glen, about the future of Pentax in the hands of Ricoh. I remember the past of Pentax, when they were a more significant player. It was around 1984 that I had bought my last Pentax lens (35-105 macro A) to go with our K1000.

I used this combo for about 23 years and didn't buy any other photo equipment until my K10D in '07. I also didn't really check out the changes that were taking place in the photo industry.

I was quite surprised how the photography market had changed in those intervening years.

Minolta gone, bought out by Sony....Canon taking over a good chunk of the pro market from Nikon and both Canon (particularly Canon) and Nikon simply dominating the DSLR market.

I was sort of a Rip Van Winkle waking up from a long sleep and surprised what had changed ...photographically....from the mid 80's to the mid 2000's.

So I do hope that Pentax once again rises, under Ricoh...given I have 2 DSLR bodies, one flash and 7 lenses...all of Pentax manufacture...all bought since 2007.

I want to continue in the Pentax system....it has done me well all these years...since '68.