Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:24 AM   #1

Default My Fourth Ltd Lens

Just bought the DA 15 F4 Ltd to add to my collection-the DA21 Ltd, DA40 Ltd, and the DA 70 Ltd. Love the feel of these lenses and glad they don't have the SDM motor so I can use them on my Ist DS. If anyone has any comments about this lens would love to hear them.

Thanks
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
Just bought the DA 15 F4 Ltd to add to my collection-the DA21 Ltd, DA40 Ltd, and the DA 70 Ltd. Love the feel of these lenses and glad they don't have the SDM motor so I can use them on my Ist DS. If anyone has any comments about this lens would love to hear them.

Thanks
Nice kit I have none of these but I'm curious as to which you use the most, and which is your favorite. I'm hoping to but a 15 very soon.
ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey View Post
Nice kit I have none of these but I'm curious as to which you use the most, and which is your favorite. I'm hoping to but a 15 very soon.
I would say the DA 40 is the most used. My favorite is the DA 70-wish I could use it more and shoot more portraits. The Limiteds are are in a class by themselves. Only have enough $$ to buy one a year so I do quite a bit of shopping around. Got a really great deal on the DA 15 and couldn't pass it up.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:35 PM   #4

While I've thought about getting this lens, I don't shoot wide angle all that much. I find my 12-24 goes unused for periods of time. How does it stack up with the other Limiteds? I was going to say that I only have two limited lenses, but I actually have 3. They really are in a class by themselves.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
While I've thought about getting this lens, I don't shoot wide angle all that much. I find my 12-24 goes unused for periods of time. How does it stack up with the other Limiteds? I was going to say that I only have two limited lenses, but I actually have 3. They really are in a class by themselves.
Trying to retire in a year or so-have house in Mesa, AZ.
Going to use this in Antelope Canyon-hopefully I can get some shots that are at least 1/2 as good as yours.
They were spectacular.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:39 AM   #6

Thansk for remembering them. Many of my shots were taken with the DA 10-17, the fisheye seemed to compliment the rock formations. But your 15 will stay pentilinear, which will be more realistic. I had debated taking the 12-24 at the time but opted not to (that was I think before I realized it was front focusing and hadn't adjusted my camera yet), instead choosing to go lighter and took the FA 77 with the fisheye. I'd love to go back now that I have the DA 31, also I'd like to visit the upper canyon. I know its much more crowded and I wouldn't want to change lenses like I did in the lower canyon, but it would still be interesting to check out.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Thansk for remembering them. Many of my shots were taken with the DA 10-17, the fisheye seemed to compliment the rock formations. But your 15 will stay pentilinear, which will be more realistic. I had debated taking the 12-24 at the time but opted not to (that was I think before I realized it was front focusing and hadn't adjusted my camera yet), instead choosing to go lighter and took the FA 77 with the fisheye. I'd love to go back now that I have the DA 31, also I'd like to visit the upper canyon. I know its much more crowded and I wouldn't want to change lenses like I did in the lower canyon, but it would still be interesting to check out.
Don't know if you have seen this yet-the winner of a Tamron contest was shots of Antelope-yours were better.
http://tamron.myphotoexhibits.com/ex...waves-of-light
Old Sep 2, 2011, 3:04 PM   #8

The quality of the light was different when the Tamron pictures were taken - if they were all taken the same day or around the same day, it was in summer. That's the only time the sunlight reaches the canyon floor, and then only in the Upper canyon. We went in December and the day was quite hazy. When we first got there the sky was pretty much completely grey, but it cleared off after we were there for a while. Most of the ones I posted were HDR, so I was able to capture the sky a bit. Otherwise there's too much dynamic range for any sensor. The way they get the sunrays is that they throw dust in the air and the sunlight reflects off of it. It's quite popular to do that, especially in the Upper Canyon. That's when you don't want to change lenses! The day we went to the lower canyon, we had the place pretty much to ourselves and since I wanted to change lenses occasionally, and since the sun never reaches the floor, I didn't try to create rays with dust. Now I'm somewhat sorry I didn't try it one time, at least.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post

Thanks
My DA*50-135mm has SDM but also has the drive connection to use the in camera focusing motor - I did try it out on my i*stDS and it worked.

Of course it does not focus as fast as on the later bodies that can use SDM but a good lens lasts a lot longer than digital camera bodies.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:08 AM   #10

Hi DMJJR,

What do you think of the 21 LTD ??

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote