Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:20 PM   #1

Default Nikon to PK adapter

While searching around on ebay the other day I cam across a Nikon AF to PK AF adapter. Has anyone ever tried one? I know because of the fit issue it has glass in it but it claims to focus to infinity. Only reason I would consider it is that there is a better selection of used lenses in the ranges I like (fast tele and zooms) for Nikon than there is for pentax and at times I would like to not have to rely on my Tamron SP adaptalls, no matter how much i love them. Thanks.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:08 AM   #2

Hi John,

I've no personal experience of this, and could be completely wrong, but your post caught my interest. After some searching around I get the impression that the adaptor you mention may be to match a Pentax lens to a Nikon body, not the reverse.
There are some postings that say some Nikon lenses can be used without an adaptor, but only in full manual or maybe AV modes, but no AF.
The subject would need a lot of research, check out the link below. ... Jack

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...ns-pentax.html
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Hi John,

I've no personal experience of this, and could be completely wrong, but your post caught my interest. After some searching around I get the impression that the adaptor you mention may be to match a Pentax lens to a Nikon body, not the reverse.
There are some postings that say some Nikon lenses can be used without an adaptor, but only in full manual or maybe AV modes, but no AF.
The subject would need a lot of research, check out the link below. ... Jack

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...ns-pentax.html
Old Nikon mounts are very close to PK. I have an old Lentar 450mm with a Nikon mount that I have used with my K100 mounted on a PK extension tube. Does work but I wouldn't want to try it mounted directly to the camera.

As for the adapter I will look again and see, maybe I did read it wrong, wouldn't be the first time

John
Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Old Nikon mounts are very close to PK. I have an old Lentar 450mm with a Nikon mount that I have used with my K100 mounted on a PK extension tube. Does work but I wouldn't want to try it mounted directly to the camera.

As for the adapter I will look again and see, maybe I did read it wrong, wouldn't be the first time

John
If I'm understanding things correctly it seems that any Pentax lens to Nikon body adaptor needs a glass element to correct the slightly different register distance, so as to allow infinity focus, but not needed the other way round.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chip in with info, this is definitely not my forté. ... Jack

Last edited by jachol; Nov 23, 2011 at 1:09 PM.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
If I'm understanding things correctly it seems that any Pentax lens to Nikon body adaptor needs a glass element to correct the slightly different register distance, so as to allow infinity focus, but not needed the other way round.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chip in with info, this is definitely not my forté. ... Jack
Looked again on ebay and there are several Nikon to PK adapters all of which have a glass element. BUT, putting the AF in the description is total BS. None of them are anything other than manual focus adapters and while there are some excellent Nikon lenses available the idea isn't nearly as good now.

John