Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:33 PM   #1

Default 35mm f2.4 or 40mm f2.8

If price and focal length were not an issue, but rather simply image quality, which one would you choose? I recently purchased a K-5 and then added the 18-55 WR kit, but have decided to go after some primes, such as the 35 or 40 and the 70. Any thoughts?
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:17 PM   #2

I don't have either lens, but have checked out/shot with Ira's DA 35 f2.4. I was very impressed with it, it has nice bokeh. It's inexpensive and it's lightweight, as I recall it has a plastic lens mount. If it had been released before I bought the DA 35 macro, I'm pretty sure I would have bought it instead.

On the other hand, I have several other Limited lenses besides the DA 35 macro and they are just incredible lenses. While mine are both FA Limited lenses, there are those who prefer the DA Limited lenses over the ones I have. The DA 40 Limited is a pancake lens - it's so incredibly small. It's also quite a bit more expensive - you are paying for the better construction (metal mount etc.) and perhaps that "pixie dust" you occasionally see with Limited lenses.

Hope someone who has/shoots both comes by and talks more about the 40.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:05 AM   #3

I have the DA 40, DA 21, DA 15, and the DA 70. I use the DA 40 the most-a true engineeringmarvel-I also have the FA 50 1.4 which I got a great deal on-but it can't hold a candle to the DA 40. The Ltd's are in a class by themselves-plus I try to use the best glass I can afford using older bodies (Ist DS) they don't have the SDM motor which I am not particularly fond of.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:01 PM   #4

Both lenses sound tempting. Looking at the Photozone lens reviews, the center sharpness of the 35/2.4 looks excellent, but the overall sharpness of the 40/2.8 is better as measured. I wonder if the "pixie dust" for the 40mm lens would make it a more desirable choice. Any comparisons of the two lenses by those who have or have used both?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:06 PM   #5

Ist DS using DA 40 Ltd. F4, 1/125, Window light from side, ISO 400. Resized for posting-as shot-no PP
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:08 AM   #6

I think the 70/2.4 might be the next step, and see how that works for me. I like the 100-110 focal length (judging from my usage over the years), and so that fits perfectly. Also, with just the 18-55 at this point, it extends the reach.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:05 AM   #7

MacBook... I have the DA 35 f/2.4 and it's a fine lens - and a great deal now that it can be found for under $200. I also have the DA 21 Limited and plan to add more DA Limited primes. I also have the DA 100 macro. These are all great lenses. My advice to you: Don't get caught up in the charts and reviews. Among all of the lenses you are talking about, you can't go wrong. So think about the focal length you need.

The 35 is pretty much a "normal" field of view on APS-C cameras. The 40 can be a bit tight. The 70 is a great portrait lens. If you have the opportunity, try the 21. Gives a field of view like 31mm on a full-frame camera. That's close to the classic 35 and is not dramatically wide like the 15. In fact, the 21 is my favorite walking around prime.

If you're on a budget, the 35 is a great place to start, however.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote