Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:36 PM   #1

Default New Pentax telephoto forecast

Exciting times for Pentax enthusiasts. There have been a myriad of articles about the new Pentax mirror less body...with an ASP-C sensor...same size and unit, as the K-5.

I have a K-5, as well as a K10D and KM...but I am a lot more enthused about the K-01 than I am with the Q.

Anyways...this is the lens forum. In my readings over the past few days I have read that Pentax intend to introduce a 500/600mm telephoto lens sometime during the 2012/2013 time frame.

I have the 55-300mm and while it is a great lens for a consumer lens...I have been salivating about the prospect of a telephoto with greater range.

Anybody have any details, or maybe just a wishlist about the possible features this lens may have ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2

I believe your right. I see a bright future for Pentax. The waiting is the hardest part.
StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:15 PM   #3

I have found a link to the lens road map for new Pentax lenses from 2012-13. A 550mm lens and about 5 zooms. Impressive.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02...taxlensroadmap

Last edited by lesmore49; Feb 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:55 PM   #4

Another link to the road map, I think this is from Pentax's website: http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/pdf/lens_roadmap.pdf

Not much information about what that long tele is going to be, but I strongly suspect it will cost more than what I can afford. I'm far more interested in the 1.4 TC that's also on the map, along with the DA* lens that looks like it could easily replace the need I feel for a wide-to-normal weather sealed zoom.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Another link to the road map, I think this is from Pentax's website: http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/pdf/lens_roadmap.pdf

Not much information about what that long tele is going to be, but I strongly suspect it will cost more than what I can afford.I have a sinking feeling that it will be 'same here' for me. I'm far more interested in the 1.4 TC that's also on the map, along with the DA* lens that looks like it could easily replace the need I feel for a wide-to-normal weather sealed zoom.
I'm still hoping for a Pentax version of the Canon L, F 5.6 400 mm prime...an excellent lens...metal body...and somewhere in the vicinity of $ 1500 + CAD.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:23 PM   #6

I am hoping to find in next 6 months or so a good under $1000

50 - 200mm f 2.8 or 70-200mm f/2.8 for my pentax for shooting football and basketball.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
I am hoping to find in next 6 months or so a good under $1000

50 - 200mm f 2.8 or 70-200mm f/2.8 for my pentax for shooting football and basketball.

dave
For sure that would be a good Pentax lens...that zoom range and fast like an F 2.8. Nikon and Canon have them.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:36 PM   #8

This certainly isn't on Pentax's new lens roadmap so far... but I've wished for a while that the company would bring out a 135-400mm WR zoom to go with the 18-135. F/3.5-5.6 would be fine.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:31 PM   #9

That new telephoto sure looks like an interesting lens - 560mm and f5.6. Looks huge in the picture.

Here's the announcement, looks like they'll have a prototype at CP+: http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/an.../20120208.html . Anyone want to venture how much it'll cost? Most likely well beyond what my budget will manage.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
That new telephoto sure looks like an interesting lens - 560mm and f5.6. Looks huge in the picture.

Here's the announcement, looks like they'll have a prototype at CP+: http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/an.../20120208.html . Anyone want to venture how much it'll cost? Most likely well beyond what my budget will manage.
Thought I saw somewhere (don't remember where) that it might be around $ 2995..assuming this would be USD.

Could of been just speculation, nothing official.