Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1

Default 50mm Lens Not Working Help Needed

I have a Pentax K-5

I received a Pentax SMC Pentax-FA 1:1.4 50mm lens the other day in the mail. When I mounted it on the camera and turned on the camera, the lens is not in ficus and the camera will not allow me to take any photos with it. When I look at the LCD panel on the top of the camera all I get is the F followed my - - that flashes. None of the other settings show up. I also tried to use line view to view through the lens using my rear LCD and I get the message can not start line view.

Any ideas on what might be wrong or need to changed in camera. There are no buttons on the lens to push. Also I get the same errors/messages in all modes including manual.

Could the lens contacts be messed up. Would it be worth trying to send it to someone to look at and fix.......

This was a gift through the mail so I do not have the original paperwork on this lens

Thanks in advance

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
I have a Pentax K-5

I received a Pentax SMC Pentax-FA 1:1.4 50mm lens the other day in the mail. When I mounted it on the camera and turned on the camera, the lens is not in ficus and the camera will not allow me to take any photos with it. When I look at the LCD panel on the top of the camera all I get is the F followed my - - that flashes. None of the other settings show up. I also tried to use line view to view through the lens using my rear LCD and I get the message can not start line view.

Any ideas on what might be wrong or need to changed in camera. There are no buttons on the lens to push. Also I get the same errors/messages in all modes including manual.

Could the lens contacts be messed up. Would it be worth trying to send it to someone to look at and fix.......

This was a gift through the mail so I do not have the original paperwork on this lens

Thanks in advance

dave
Hi,

I'm not familiar with the lens personally, problem may be down to dirty

contacts, you could try a fairly gentle rub with a pencil eraser a few times ...

blow or brush away any debris before remounting the lens.

A simple thing to try, and could do the trick. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 6:18 AM   #3

Dave -

Another possibility - check and make sure the aperture ring is set to "A" (or, if you plan to set the F-stop manually, that "allow use of aperture ring" is turned on in your camera's custom settings).

Unless you have turned on "allow use of aperture ring" in your custom settings, you will always get the flashing "F--" on any setting other than "A"
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:00 AM   #4

I agree. I think it's likely there's something going on with the aperture ring and lock.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:47 AM   #5

I agree with mole - the first thing to check is that the aperture on the ring is set to "A". If that doesn't help, then clean the contacts on both the lens and the camera. Also, make sure that the lens is really locked into place properly.

The camera will always show the "F--" when you have a manual lens on it and haven't set the camera to allow the use of aperture ring. I forget about that because the first thing I do with a camera is change the custom setting to allow the use of aperture ring and leave it that way - I still use manual lenses on occasion.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Dave -

Another possibility - check and make sure the aperture ring is set to "A" (or, if you plan to set the F-stop manually, that "allow use of aperture ring" is turned on in your camera's custom settings).

Unless you have turned on "allow use of aperture ring" in your custom settings, you will always get the flashing "F--" on any setting other than "A"
As soon as I changed that setting (and I didn;t even know there was such as thing) the lens would focus and worked perfectly

THANKS a million

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote