Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 7, 2012, 3:13 PM   #1

Default DA 70 Limited...how do you put a filter on this lens ?

I just bought a Pentax DA 70mm F 2.4 (Silver) Limited lens, about a week or so ago.

I have a 49mm B+W filter I would like to put on this lens, to protect it. B+W of course are very good filters.

Question :

I have read the instructions and tried to affix this filter to the lens...but so far without success.

Any suggestions as to where I'm screwing up ?

The B+W filter seems to be just a bit too large for the 70mm lens. The filter is a 49 mm.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2012, 3:41 PM   #2

I just looked at mine-unscrew the retractable lens hood-that should expose the filter threads. If you filter won't fit you might have to use one of the new thin wall filters. I personally don't use any-but that is how it appears to work.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 7:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
I just looked at mine-unscrew the retractable lens hood-that should expose the filter threads. I did that and the threads are there as you say...but my 49mm B+W filter will not engage...it will on the Pentax 18-55 lens filter threads.If you filter won't fit you might have to use one of the new thin wall filters. I personally don't use any-but that is how it appears to work.
I never thought of the thin wall filters...I should check at my local camera shop. However ...I have to say, although I have protective filters on all my other lenses, with the exception of my 10-17 fisheye which can't accept a filter, I'm starting to think...maybe I will leave the lens as is...it is a small lens and that retractable metal hood seems very effective at both shading and protecting.

BTW, thanks for the info.
Old May 10, 2012, 7:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I never thought of the thin wall filters...I should check at my local camera shop. However ...I have to say, although I have protective filters on all my other lenses, with the exception of my 10-17 fisheye which can't accept a filter, I'm starting to think...maybe I will leave the lens as is...it is a small lens and that retractable metal hood seems very effective at both shading and protecting.

BTW, thanks for the info.
I just checked my 18-55 kit lens-that has a 52mm filter ring-just a thought.
Thanks
Old May 10, 2012, 5:14 PM   #5

Quote:
I just checked my 18-55 kit lens-that has a 52mm filter ring-just a thought.
Thanks
Ooops...I'll have to check that.

Les
Old May 11, 2012, 7:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Ooops...I'll have to check that.

Les
If that's the worst thing to happen today you should have a great day-keep shooting
Dave
Old May 18, 2012, 4:26 PM   #7

Quote:
If that's the worst thing to happen today you should have a great day-keep shooting
Dave
I checked my filter size out on the 70mm Limited. It's a 49 mm. Maybe the thin wall filter as you suggested maybe the ticket. Thanks.