Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 22, 2012, 8:40 AM   #1

Default New DA 50mm f/1.8 Prime Announced

Pentax formally announced the long-rumored DA 50mm f/1.8 lens yesterday. It appears to be in the same class as the DA 35mm f/2.4 lens. Filter size for the new 50 is 52mm as opposed to 49mm on the 35. The new lens appears to be based on Pentax's discontinued FA 50mm f/1.7 with the addition of an extra blade (and the rounding of all the blades) to smooth out bokeh. And - get this - B&H's listing indicates the new lens will work with full-frame sensors:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_1_8.html

List price is $249. I've preordered one because I've been so happy with the DA 35 f/2.4. Plus, 50mm perfectly fills in the hole in my prime lens line-up: 15, 21, 35, 70 and 100.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2012, 2:34 PM   #2

I was wondering about this new lens.

I see it has a plastic lens mount, which always makes me hesitate. But I'm an old traditionalist and I know I'm slow to accept change.

The other thing I wonder is that a couple of years ago I bought a new Pentax 50 MM F1.4 (FA I think)...that is a very good performer, has a metal lens mount and works on both ASP-C and full frame 35mm Pentax.

Will this new 50mm...slower @ F 1.8 and with a plastic mount, replace the FA F 1.4 ?

The Bokeh is fantastic with my F 1.4 and photos are very sharp. A few years ago when I bought it (Canada)...it cost $ 249....I know there has been a significant price increase since then.

Also Pentax has brought out the 55 MM premium quality lens (forget the F stop) a few years ago. I realize this is aimed at a different market and is priced....probably built accordingly.

Pentax also still has the 50 mm F 2.8 Macro (which I have)...another well performing lens, albeit around twice as much cost.

I wonder why Pentax has so many lenses at the 50-55 mm range ? Possibly they will drop the FA 50 F 1.4 ?

But on the other hand I'm glad to see that early on...the new Ricoh ownership of Pentax seems to be coming out with some good things...the K-30, now this 50mm.

Hopefully Pentax, under Ricoh will see fit, soon, to bring out some quality primes/zooms in the 400 to 600 area. I think something like a 400mm F 5.6 (similar to the Canon L), a 135-400 MM F 5.6....in addition to that 560mm prime on the road map, would be excellent. All WR and of good quality....similar to the Canon L range. F 5.6 I think would be fine and would keep the costs down. An F 2.8 400 would be great, but the market is already covered by Canon and Nikon in this uber expensive, fast prime extreme telephoto. F 5.6 would be great for outdoor enthusiasts, particularly as usable ISO continue to rise in both ISO #'s and quality at high ISO.

Also a 70-200mm F 2.8 would be a nice addition.

It will be interesting to see tests of this new lens...see how it does

Last edited by lesmore49; May 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 6:31 PM   #3

The FA 50 1.4 has gotten quite expensive compared to other manufacturer's slower 50mm lenses. There are those who dismiss Pentax because they don't offer an inexpensive 50, so now they do. It's not a lens I'm interested since I have two 50mm lenses and rarely use either one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 10:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The FA 50 1.4 has gotten quite expensive compared to other manufacturer's slower 50mm lenses. You're quite right. I can't recall when I bought my 50 F 1.4...think it was around 4 years ago or so for $ 249 CAD. I was quite surprised to see how it has continually risen in price up here, since then. I remember reading some reviews before I bought it and it did quite well vs the Nikon, Canon lenses fast 50's at the time.There are those who dismiss Pentax because they don't offer an inexpensive 50, so now they do. It's not a lens I'm interested since I have two 50mm lenses and rarely use either one.
I'm not interested in the new 50 either, for as you, I also have two 50's...the F 1.4 and the F 2.8 Macro.

If I had to do it over again, I think I might just have bought the 50 F 1.4 and a Pentax 100 Macro F 2.8...rather than another 50...even though it was a Macro.

But I did and eventually bought a 70mm F 2.4 Limited....which although not a Macro is also a short telephoto, like the 50's.

I think I will get more use out of the 70mm though.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 6:27 AM   #5

I also have the 50MM 1.4-never use it-if I want this range I use my DA 40 Ltd which IMHO blows the 50 away-focus speed and picture quality.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote