Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:38 PM   #1

Default Tamron 28-70 f/2.8

What do you think of the Tamron 28-75mm lens? Is it worth $450? Is it fast to focus and tack sharp even wide open. Considering getting one to use a general wedding lens for ceremony and group shots. and some lower light work I do for the newspaper government meetings and chamber of commerce events.

Would be used on a K-5 body.......

was also looking at a 24-70 and and 18-50 f/2.8. Figured the 50mm is not long enough for some shots.

dave

P.S. I messed the title up meant 28- 75mm not 28-70mm

Last edited by Photo 5; Jun 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:15 PM   #2

Hi Dave,

I have an older Tamron 28-75 f2.8, and it's an exemplary lens. Close to prime sharp at all FLs, fast to focus, and compact for the FL range and speed.

There is a caveat though -- When I bought mine about 6 years ago, this lens was just about universally touted as one of the best in class (even when compared to a lot of OEM lenses), but in recent years, there seem to be increasing QC problems, but I think that this is unfortunately more of an industry wide problem than one for this particular lens alone, exacerbated by better higher res sensors and more sophisticated cameras.

I'd say it's worth a shot. If you get a good one, it's a very very good lens.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:35 PM   #3

Can only agree with Scott - my copy of this lens, purchased very used ("bargain grade") at KEH works near-perfectly on the K20D. However, it does not "play well" with my old (damaged) K-M - focus is always a bit off (front-focusing).
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:14 PM   #4

Thanks guys from what I have been reading and video reviews from youtube it seems the older ones were better in quality....

dave
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:37 AM   #5

I just purchased a new copy of this lens as a replacement for the 18-55 kit lens on my K-X. I went through the front/back focusing checks and it looks like my camera was back focusing. I was able to correct that and we'll see how the lens performs this weekend.

So far from what I've seen just playing around it seems to work really nicely. Any advice from more experienced users on how to best use this lens would be appreciated.

I'll post back after this weekend (attending an outdoor photography class on Saturday).

Terence
tggt2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:50 AM   #6

Terence once you've had time to test this can you tell me how you were able to correct the back focus issue you had. I hope it doesn't require me to change menus setting every time I change lenses in order to adjust the focus on lenses as if and when I get this one I would be changing lenses more often than I do now......

Thanks for the info and reply

dave
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:43 AM   #7

Dave, I read through the following articles to figure out how to do it:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/...roduction.html
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...focus-k-x.html
http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2010/01...djustment.html (this one had a link to download the mod file so that I could access the debug menu on the K-X, not sure how the K-5 handles that)

Got the focus chart from this article:
http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart

Apparently the focus correction applies to all lenses used on the K-X. That will be ok for me at the moment since this is my only lens. I do not know how this is handled on something like the K-5.

Last edited by tggt2fan; Jun 29, 2012 at 7:47 AM. Reason: Clarification on K-X vs K-5
Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:48 PM   #8

Thanks for the links

dave
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:24 AM   #9

Ok, some feedback as promised. The lens is a huge upgrade from the kit 18-55 lens. The K-X feels like a whole new camera to me. It focused nice and quickly and seems like it is pretty sharp throughout the focal and aperture range. So it would seem that I got a good copy of the lens.

I need to sort through the photos that were taken on the weekend and then figure out how to post some examples.

Now that I have 'real' lens it's probably about time I started posting photos for others to comment on so that I can learn what I'm doing with the camera and lens
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:38 PM   #10

Well I decided this morning to order the lens and a B&W filter for it. I also made the decision that if its not a tack sharp copy and has an focus front or back issues it will go immediately back and will look for a tack sharp copy. Thanks to everyone for their help and comments

The seller replied back to my second e-mail and told me if its not tack sharp they will take it back. Said it was tack sharp on their K-r body. They ended up going with an 18-55mm because they needed it to shoot wider for their needs. No lens hood for some reason - told me it didn't come with one when they got it but for the price I paid I am picking on up and a B&W filter from bhphotovideo.com With the lens, high grade filter and hood its still cheaper than a new one by $50.

I will report back after I get the lens and had a chance to use it

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Jul 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM.